Airfix 1/48 Lynx. RDAF. Pirate Hunter.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well then here it is. Before the photos a few comments about the kit.

The Navy version boxing contains a huge pile of plastic due to the weapons choice and the different versions that can be built.

Airfix gets Five stars for this kit. As per the other lastest new tool kits, the mouldings are clean and crisp with more than enough detail. The Instument panel was a bit of a let down, being presented by decals alone. No raised detail or dials. (something for the after market guys).

The instructions.....Hmm... could be better! Due to there being three airframe versions, the first two with three load outs and the last with two load outs.

You will need to study the instructions very well and get the highlighter pen out. Loads of holes to drill out and choice of parts that need to be sorted before you get to well in to the build.

Also not a build and paint kit. This one is very much a paint as you go.

My kit is OOB with a bit of scratching: the fuel tank seat with harnesses and the slider mount for the techies seat. Also the winch hed to be cut up into about six parts to get it to fold up and go inside the cabin.

Nuff waffle Picture time.

View attachment 45376 View attachment 45377 View attachment 45378 View attachment 45380 View attachment 45379

Sorry the last picture is a bit bright, I was trying to get the inside so you could see it.

I hope that you like it. I found this to be a challenge. My first chopper. Will I build another? well there's the Army one in the stash and I had better do a Royal Navy one as well....

Comments welcome.

Ian M

View attachment 48474

View attachment 48475

View attachment 48476

View attachment 48477

View attachment 48478

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

T

tecdes

Yes like that Ian. Looks good & made me think that I must have another helicopter to build soon. None in the stash pretty poor. What !

Very crisp finish. Helicopters I came to the conclusion when building the Westland Wessex need a lot of planning not just following blindly the instructions.

Laurie

M

mobear

fantastic build Ian,looks reaaly neat and details look awesome

mobear

A

andyrobs

Hi Ian, cracking work mate, 5 stars from me

Cheers, Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great build ian , it looks fantastic , cant wait to see the other versions , cheers tony p.s 5 stars coming your way

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Ian nice to here its a good kit I've got the Army one to do and 5 stars for you from me

D

dubster72

That's really nice Ian, the paint & decals are excellent!

I agree with the other guys, well worth 5 stars.

Cheers

Patrick

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very nicely done indeed! I'll add my ***** to your collection.

Gern

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic Lynx, great paint work and the interior looks good from those photos.

T

treyzx10r

Cracking build Ian,if I'm not mistaken this helo is still the record holder for top speed?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You guys might be interested in this: Lynx World Speed Record Helicopter Restored After 25 Years

C

CDW

Good job on that Ian .... *****

all these helicopters knocking around on here just lately .... tempts me to get right back into them again

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still the fastest and still the only helicopter that can do a full loop and full roll!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Hope the Merlin gets released soon.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just caught up with this one Ian and very nice it is too.

You've done your normal top job on this one,it's a lovely clean job. I hope the RDAF keeps theirs as chipper as this one!

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

Very nice Ian.

I nearly picked this up at the weekend myself but went for the Hurricane instead. Now seeing yours I think it'll became part of the growing stash.

Atb, Colin.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Just caught up with this one Ian and very nice it is too.You've done your normal top job on this one,it's a lovely clean job. I hope the RDAF keeps theirs as chipper as this one!

Cheers

Steve
The RDAF choppers are very chipper! I think the only chopper that has a better shine is the Marine one (Obamas).

To be honest mine could be a bit shinier, but millions of rivets on the surface put the mockers on the normal polish job.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Ooops missed this one Ian, It's all been said already, cracking build as usual, have added my 5 Star to your collection. Cheers Derek

p.s. Reminds me I started a thread on a SAS Helicopter, but havn't started it yet - running out of time again.