Airfix 1/48 Metoer Etched Brass help

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Building Airfix's New 1/48 Meteor using detail parts from Eduard.

Trying to get the part shown below to go together and not having much luck hoping some more experienced members will be able to point us in the right direction 

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

D

dubster72

The Airfix part is a bit blurry Richard, but I assume you've sanded off the moulded detail as shown in red.

I would superglue the pe to the styrene part at one end first. Then I'd add superglue to the pe in stages, as you progress around the part until it's all stuck down.

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for the tips guys

Patrick yes the moulded on details have been sanded off had been trying to stick it on in one go but only succeding in sticking my fingers together.

John I am using a PE tool similar to the one in your link

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If it is a bit stiff and springy, heat the brass part carefully in a lighter flame.This will soften it and make it easier to persuade into shape as you work.

Start the run at a place the join will not be seen. Jet pipes are more often than not up against the fuselage in some way. Offer it up to the fixed positionand mark it with a dot to help remember where the seam should go.

D

dubster72

Thanks for the tips guys

Patrick yes the moulded on details have been sanded off had been trying to stick it on in one go but only succeding in sticking my fingers together.

John I am using a PE tool similar to the one in your link

Sticking fingers together? Been there a few times! ;)

I usually use a cocktail stick or some other wooden do-dah to hold a piece of pe down while the glue takes hold. I've found wood seems to be less likely to be affected by superglue. Much less than skin!

Take Ian's advice & anneal the brass first - then stick it down bit by bit.

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ian

shall try heating it to soften it,

the instructions show it going all the way around but the has to be a gap where the notch on the airfix piece is the gapo shouldn't be a problem as this is inside the centre of the pipes shown in the other part of the instructions so only the pattern would be visible if the engine is displayed on the engine stand

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
 I use etched brass for locomotive roof fan screens that have a gentle curve on them, the technique is to gently roll the brass on an old mouse mat or a few sheets of tissue using a rod a little like a rolling pin. The important thing is to use gentle pressure and have a soft surface to roll on.

Last edited by a moderator: