Airfix 1/48 Spitfire mk12 - Finished

First Name
Dave
I had this one at the painting stage when the Phantom SIG started.Managed to get it finished yesterday.This is the first of Airfix's modern kits that Ive built.And I'm very impressed with it.Lots of lovely detail and everything fitted very well.Not things I would normally associate with Airfix!.The wing to fuselage join at the wing roots is particularly good.Unlike their mk1 which i built before this.No filler needed there at all.I used to feel about Airfix the way Barry W does about Revell!.But if all their modern kits are like this I will be building more.Highly recommended.

The photo below is of all my recent Spitfire builds.from left to right,Airfix mk12,Revell mk9 and Airfix mk1.

First Name
Aaron
Those are awesome models dave. The clipped wing spits are awesome and i like the grunty cowel.

C

Cooperman69

Very nice indeed :smiling3:

Love the way you have got your decals on the underwing to sit nicely over the bumps, an area I'm always struggling with even with Microsol etc!

Must try one of those Airfix new kits.

First Name
Adrian
Very nice build, I have to agree to new cut Airfix stuff is way better than the old moulds, a very nice group of three to be proud of for sure. 5 * from me.

Adrian

C

Caledonia

That's a quality build and paint job Dave, like the clipped wing as well. A definate 5 star from me. Cheers Derek

T

tecdes

Very nice Dave. Crisp & careful finish.

Is it a coincidence or are you into Spitfires ?

Laurie

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Very nice Dave. Crisp & careful finish.Is it a coincidence or are you into Spitfires ?

Laurie
Actually Laurie,I hadn't built a Spitfire since the early 90's.Then I got the mk12 soon after it came out.My wife got me the mk9 for Xmas and my daughter gave me the mk1.I started the mk9 first and thought it would be easier to spray the interior green on all three at the same time along with my current build the italeri Sea Hurricane.Thats why I ended up making three Spits (with a phantom SIG build in between).Thanks to everyone for your kind comments.

Whilst I'm here,thanks John for the speedy delivery of the 0.3mm nozzle and needle for my iwata airbrush.ordered last Wednesday and arrived yesterday.Second class post as well!.

Last edited by a moderator:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Awesome collection your latest edition is my favourite 10/10

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Another beautifully done Spitfire Dave. Top work yet again.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic looking spit dave ,a definite 5 star build. It looks a very nice kit to build ,it seems like Airfix are really trying hard to give modellers what they want with their new tool releases. Ive just bought their Spitfire F 22 in 1/72 and that too looks a lovely kit , cant wait to start it now after seeing yours !, cheers tony

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Very nice builds there Dave. These ne tool Airfix really are very good. I have built their 48 scale 109 and Seafire 17 and found them up with the best. pity they don't do 32 scale kits or I would build more Airfix.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
***** more for your collection Dave.

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking good there, lovely group of Spits, nicely painted too.

Si:smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Cracking Clippy, Dave.

5 stars well earned mate.

Tony.

S

Stevekir

Dave W:

The close-up of the cockpit shows a nice fuzzy edge to the camo. What method did you use to get that? Worms & tape? hand airbrushing? If hand airbrushing, what needle size?

Thanks.

First Name
Dave
Steve.I used white tack and Tamiya tape.My Iwata has a 0.5 mm nozzle which is fine for spraying masked off camo like this.I have recently bought a 0.3 nozzle and needle to try out.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a nice collection of Spits you have there Dave. Is the intention to build every mk? That would be a very nice collection indeed Mk1 through 22

Great finish on a cracking kit

Cheers

P