Airfix 1/48 Stuka build

B

Bubba

I might've already mentioned that I'm quite into Stukas, and that I'm getting the Airfix 1/24 for Christmas. Well, I couldn't wait that long, so I bought myself the 1/48 version a couple of weeks ago to get my hand in! :smiling5:

I just thought I'd share a few pics of the build so far. :smiling3: I think the kit is pretty good, but I was totally bummed out by the thick, solid canopy. More about that later!

These are views of the nice, detailed cockpit. I wasn't overjoyed with the gunner/navigator's chair as it was a solid piece instead of the mesh-type I was expecting, so I made one using fuse wire and superglue. :D I used the old seat to make a bit of the sidewall detail. I made cushions for the pilot out of blu-tack, and I made a bulkhead/partition for between the pilot and gunner's compartments, because there wasn't one. The painting was done with satin black underpainting dry-brushed with a Humbrol cockpit green. :smiling3:

I built the rest of the plane up quite quickly. Fit was good, but there were quite a lot of faint flash lines, especially on the smaller parts.

Time to talk about the canopy. If I'd glued it on in one piece, all the hard work I'd put in on the cockpit would've been lost, so I decided to cut it. When I'd done it I was less than impressed with the results! I thought to myself "Better get in touch with Airfix for a new part, Bob". :D One of the cuts wasn't perfectly straight, but as I intend to display it with the cockpit open I thought I might get away with it. :pray:

I built up the cockpit sills where the canopy parts will be slid back, added some seatbelts made of paper and painted the canopy framing - I'm MUCH happier with it now.

My next job is to do the splinter camouflage with my airbrush - the first time I will have done masking on an aeroplane kit. I'm a bit dubious about doing it but nothing ventured......

Thanks for looking. :smiling3:

Last edited:
M

mobear

christ on a bike your blasting through this pretty quickly,Roman one of the other modellers on here is quick but i feel you might be a little quicker lol,by the way good job so far

mobear

C

CDW

its not got scales Bob ... whats up with you :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

looks great so far matey ... looking forward to the splinter pics

B

Bubba

\ said:
its not got scales Bob ... whats up with you :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: looks great so far matey ... looking forward to the splinter pics
Ha ha! Everybody needs time away from an obsession with ugly, ungainly, slow stuff.

er...... :poster_oops:

T

treyzx10r

Thats looking awesome Bubba,always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end when cutting canopies apart! You did a clean job of it! Is this one getting a standard splinter scheme?

B

Bubba

\ said:
Thats looking awesome Bubba,always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end when cutting canopies apart! You did a clean job of it! Is this one getting a standard splinter scheme?
Thanks! Yeah, I actually fancied one of the snazzier paintjobs that were on offer with the kit, but I didn't fancy the Italian decals.:mad: Actually, I could still do the Tropical version because I've just noticed it has the standard splinter underneath the blobby tan scheme. Hmm.

This is the first aeroplane kit I've built since about 1985, when I built a 1/72 Lancaster. :D That was horrible - tired old Airfix mould, with more flash in the kit than buildable plastic! :laughing:

T

treyzx10r

I like the tropical scheme but a good old splinter is nice as well. I did a night attack version a while back that was kinda eye catching.Gotta love those old moldings ,got a Smer s.m. 79 in the stash thats too scary to even consider building! Looking forward to seeing the next update,cheers Trey

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Ha ha! Everybody needs time away from an obsession with ugly, ungainly, slow stuff.er...... :poster_oops:
So you picked a Stuka as pretty, graceful and fast did you? Ooops indeed!

Gern

B

Bubba

\ said:
So you picked a Stuka as pretty, graceful and fast did you? Ooops indeed!Gern
What a mistake to make! :D

Well, I've done my first masked paintjob. I already had the light green and the underside sprayed up and I've done the dark green this morning.

I don't think it's come out too bad, just a little touching up to do and paint the tailplane struts etc. Then a coat of gloss varnish when I get round to buying some!

Last edited: