Airfix 1/72 Fw190D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Connoisseurs of German aircraft avert your eyes. I had to finish something out of my stash and this was the first victim. I'm aware the paint isn't exact, but I enjoyed slapping it together and finishing it as it is. For an old kit, this Airfix oldie is still available I believe, and fits together with minimal fuss.

View attachment 57101View attachment 57102View attachment 57103View attachment 57104View attachment 57105View attachment 57106

View attachment 59071

View attachment 59072

View attachment 59073

View attachment 59074

View attachment 59075

View attachment 59076

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

C

CDW

Much better than my attempts at these flying things Joe, i've given up doing them.

That camo job looks well smart, not bad at 1/72 mate.

M

mobear

at 1/72 thats alot better than my attempts especially the pilots lol,good job all round

mobear

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's nice work Joe, for something thats been "slapped together"

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks chaps. As I mentioned in another of my threads, this was one I was not going to display here due to its crudeness.

T

treyzx10r

Does'nt look at all 'crude' to me Joe,and that mottle scheme is a challenge in larger scales so nice going doing it in 72!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thank you Trey, I am going to experiment with an air brush soon, so hopefully mottling will become softer on future schemes.

M

m1ks

\ said:
I've seen much worse! Good job, mate!
I've built much worse, LOL

Good job, thats not a bad little kit, I built one with my wee fella a couple of years ago, you can still buy them in the red packaging.

An idea for the mottling, (this is pure speculation as I haven't done mottling by brush), I wonder if a trimmed round brush such as you'd use for dry brushing with most of the paint wiped off (but not as much as when dry brushing), then dabbed on would give a softer edged effect?

S

spongtastic

All three of these make me want to try some of the older kits I've picked up in job lots. Not sure I'd be able to do all three so quickly to such a standard though!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
They are perfect for learning or re-learning on sponge. Set yourself up with the basics and enjoy the builds, knowing that if you muck them up you haven't spent a lot of money. Or if you did, it was a long time ago :tongue:

M1ks, I did try that cut down brush method on an experimental kit I have for such things, but it didn't turn out very well against the light background on the FW. Over darker colours it may have worked. You can also use small pieces of sponge with the paint thinned right down, in this case I didn't thin it enough.