Airfix 1/72 Hurricane IIC G-AMAU

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Right, so I had this lying around. It was a freebie I got from work a while back, one of the 'newer' dogfight doubles starter sets, with a Ju.88. The latter I always intend to do a Regia Aeronautica version, but I may just get one of the newer, better kits like the Revell job, and save myself a LOT of work

But I digress. My intention is to do the last built Hurricane, PZ865, known as 'Last of the Many', now flying with the BBMF. I'm going to try her in her racer guise, as G-AMAU, flown by Group Captain Peter Townsend, and sponsored by Princess Margaret, in the 1951 Kings Cup Air Race. It took second place, by about 60 feet, to a restored Percival Mew Gull
There was a set of transfers available a while back from Lifelike, but they're unfindable now. They did depict her in the 1952 Kings Cup guise, which never took place due to the3 death of George VI. Still they'd have saved me a fair bit of work

So, I'm going to try and recreate the markings with careful masking. We'll see how that goes... I've already got quite a way on with it, so very much WIP here

Here's the kit
IMG_2961.JPGIMG_2963.JPGIMG_2965.JPGIMG_2964.JPG
AS you can see, it's a bit of a 'rivet fest'. So THAT'S all gone now

Although G-AMAU is a IIC and the kit is a IIB, the difference is mostly the weapons fit, and G-AMAU was unarmed. Except...
G-AMAU.jpg
This is the first image I've found which shows the top of the wing, and she DOES have the cannon bulges... Darn!
Anyway, the scheme is gold and royal blue

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, de-riveting and a few choice panel lines re-scribed. There are none on the wings, and only a couple on the fuselage. So, taking photos as a guide will put a few back
IMG_2962.JPG
Some bubbling on the mould to show it's age. That's easily rectified, and not TOO much flash either

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
IMG_2971.JPGIMG_2972.JPG
Wings sanded and stuck together. Fuselage likewise. And I managed to cut off the port side part of the tail light, so that needed replacing...

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Like I said, the scheme is Royal Blue and Gold, so I've got some AK paints specially. Which may be asking for trouble as I've never used the before.
IMG_2973.JPG
So, I'm going to put the gold on first, then mask, then blue over the top. After a test run on something else...

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice Steve I’ll be following. Also think I’m going to do the Night version for mine as you have pointed out to me when I first posted mine.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Now, the cockpit has a floor, a seat, and a pilot. Not a lot will be visible, so I'm not doing my usual work on it as the canopy will be close anyway
IMG_2974.JPG
The stick is just two bits of one of the missiles in the kit. I'll be replacing the seat with one from the new Airfix Gladiator I've got as it looks much more the part
IMG_2975.JPG
Couple of strips fro framing and a central panel for the dashboard. The panel is actually two halves on the sides, rather than a separate piece. No panel transfer though. I MAY put the compass at the bottom of the panel, if it doesn't interfere with the stick
Famous last words...
IMG_2976.JPG
Scribed the access door in, as needed. On the other side of re-scribed the steps, visible in the top pic

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Very nice Steve I’ll be following. Also think I’m going to do the Night version for mine as you have pointed out to me when I first posted mine.
Don't think it was me suggesting a night fighter, but that would be easy with the Halfords can. Now, if I'd had your Matchbox IIC lying about, once again, saving myself some work. This is definitely a case of a kit just there in the stash for the making

And it'll go well with my prototype build

Along those lines, I've thought about doing a 'last' Spitfire too. But just what THAT is seems to be a right barrel of monkeys...

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Right, modified the wing with a couple of bulges, cut and sanded from the kit exhausts. They'll do
IMG_2985.JPG
Which reminds me. I need a pair of six-pipe exhausts, which I do not have anywhere in all the Hurri spare bits...

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
And speaking of parts

Originally, I thought about finishing my AZ Hurricane, the ex-Yugoslav on in Regia Aeronautica colours, but it was really too far along
But in it, I had two sets of undercarriage bays and cockpit pieces
IMG_2979.JPGIMG_2981.JPG
With a bit of work, the spare bay will go in this build, cut to size

IMG_2982.JPGIMG_2983.JPG
This is as far along as the Italian Hurri got. I need to practice small spots on my airbrush to progress. I'll get back to it

Also, my partner, Richard, has acquired one-and-three-quarter Airfix new Hurris, missing cockpit bits and some wing parts, mostly. So I've another build idea in the offing. I think I'll do L1548, the first Hurri to enter service. The first issue of the Airfix kit had markings for it, but for 1938/9, not as new in '37

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Okay, so the detailed floor is painted, just interior green and a black watercolour wash
IMG_2987.JPG
The seat is from the Airfix Gladiator, with my usual Tamiya tape belts

IMG_2986.JPG
So, the replacement bay is cut to shape and painted. And, as you can see, the sidewalls came off while cutting. Still needs work to get it to fit

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Cockpit in and canopy added
IMG_2994.JPGIMG_2995.JPGIMG_2997.JPG
The central panel is another spare from the Gladiator
All of which is invisible with that canopy framing!

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Now, this is the start of a bit of an experiment

IMG_2993.JPG

The kit has alternate doors for U/C up or down, so I'm using one to try the marking masking idea. So, the gold doesn't cover very well by brush, but this is a test.
When it's dry, it'll get a varnish fix, then I'll add some tape marking, then spray over the blue. If that works, then I just have to do the codes and stripes with mask tape

'It will be a great disaster!'

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cool! And a very different colour scheme