Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup

First Name
Mike
I built this a few years ago, and converted it to a RNAS naval Pup which involved cutting a hole in the upper wing and mounting a Lewis gun ahead of the cockpit. Apart from adding some cockpit detail I re-skinned the fuselage with 5 thou styrene sheet and corrected a few of the kit's inaccuracies (but totally forgot to move the tailskid forward 
doh.gif
). The Lewis gun was a Mini World brass/PE unit, and the model was rigged with stretched vinyl sproo.

030_800.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

001.jpg

28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job mike , flawlessly built and rigged , a proper example of an oldie turned into a goodie!  Its interesting you mention the lewis gun and cut out, ive just done the valom kit of this aircraft in 1/144 but i didnt make these modifications . Were they added at a later time or from new built? Its immaterial really though as i wouldnt have been able to scratch a lewis gun in 1/144 anyway!! Lol , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic looking Pup Mike. As Tony says, flawless build. Inspirational.

First Name
Robert
Awesome looking Sopwith pup ( such a delight to see WW1 aircraft built ) and to such fantastic  quality and detail. ( rigging scares the bejesus out of me hence I don't attempt ) 

A real gem 

kind regards 

Robert 

J

John Rixon

Staggeringly beautiful build! I am at a complete loss as to how you get the rigging so perfect, and it really makes the build. I must have a trawl through YouTube on rigging!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant. I've done a couple of 1:48 Bi planes, but 1:72, and rigged, hats off to you.

First Name
Gwyn
I love these old biplanes and this is a beauty. The finish and rigging is superb. I have the Revell camel to do, fortunately for my eyes it's bigger  (1:28). I hope it looks as good as yours.

D

Doug Hughes

Outstanding work, Mike, with a truly beautiful end product. I seem to remember doing the same conversion myself, way back when, but with some what less spectacular results. Stand-out features for me are the rigging (of course!), the rib-tapes under the wings, the wooden propellor, the criss-cross ribs forward of the cockpit (don't remember these being on the original kit), and - for goodness' sake - there's writing on the tyres - in 1/72!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great job on the wee one,the colors are very nice,and a good clean build,real like,very well done, :D