Airfix 1:72 Spitfire IX

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Here is the result of my first build in about 18 years. I've enjoyed getting back into the hobby, and this was the first time I have used a lot of putty filler, gloss varnishes, decal solutions, weathering, and matt coats. The result, for a poor-fitting old kit which lacks a lot of detail, is okay for a first attempt I reckon. I will get braver later with washes and more weathering on future kits, and learn to use the airbrush.

View attachment 44839

The kit is a real old version, one of many of the WW2 aces series I have laying about from when I was younger. Shocking kit, I had no end of problems with the wing fits, landing gear alignment, and prop blades falling off. I hope Airfix's later versions of this fine aeroplane are better made. I was, however, happy with the decal sheet, although one of the serial numbers got a bit screwed up. But that was my fault, not the kit.

View attachment 44846

Simple yet deceptively difficult to get to a good standard.

I added a pitot tube made from spare sprue to the port wing underside, it was one little external extra which I felt could enhance an otherwise poorly detailed kit.

View attachment 44847

Overall I enjoyed this first build. My previous first attempt was an Airfix IL2 which ended up in the bin, so it was good to complete this one.

I finished the kit with Vallejo gloss, Humbrol Decalfix, and used Tamiya Matt Spray for the dull coat. I had an issue with the Tamiya product, when it dried it was quite patchy. I think I may have sprayed it too close, so I will learn from that.

View attachment 44848View attachment 44849View attachment 44850

View attachment 47995

View attachment 48001

View attachment 48002

View attachment 48003

View attachment 48004

View attachment 48005

View attachment 48006

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

M

mobear

s.w.e.e.t spitfire in 1/72, i did one once kind of flunked as its too small and gluey finger prints all over lol

really good mate

mobear

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks to your great build threads Roman I have learned much, and you have fuelled my desire to try to complete my builds to a higher standard than I otherwise could have achieved. Onwards and upwards, next projects are already in the pipeline. I'm looking forward to building something that actually fits together well and has recessed panel lines!

First Name
Aaron
Joe thats a fantastic job bro it looks like a snap together (compliment)

Id love to see your work on a well fitting kit

Way to kick the pants off my 1/48 attempt, Very nice.

V

Vajled

\ said:
Thanks to your great build threads Roman I have learned much, and you have fuelled my desire to try to complete my builds to a higher standard than I otherwise could have achieved. Onwards and upwards, next projects are already in the pipeline. I'm looking forward to building something that actually fits together well and has recessed panel lines!
thank you Joe for a such nice coment...

Anything I can help dont hesitate to ask

Keep au a great work...

Roman

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Joe. Nice work on the Spitfire. Taking into account the size of the model and the fact that it is handpainted youve achieved a really neat and presentable build. Well done.

Steve

T

TonyBv9

Good job with the Spit. My first two attempts are languishing in the "not fit for public consumption box". What paints did you use?

Tony

First Name
Dave
Thats a very good build of an ancient kit.As for the matt coat i'd recommend using Vallejo matt clear.Ive had great results with it and wont use anything else now.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Very good looking model for a returnee into this wonderful hobby! I can't wait to see more of your models in the future as you've certainly got talent!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Good job with the Spit. My first two attempts are languishing in the "not fit for public consumption box". What paints did you use?Tony
Hi there. They were humble good old Humbrol enamels.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Thats a very good build of an ancient kit.As for the matt coat i'd recommend using Vallejo matt clear.Ive had great results with it and wont use anything else now.
Thanks Dave, I was very happy with the Vallejo gloss varnish. I couldn't find any Vallejo matt varnish but I will try to find some. The Tamiya stuff was a little disappointing.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Very nice result! What's next?
A Mitsubishi Zero (another old Airfix kit) and a restoration of the 1:72 Hurricane I stripped in another thread.

T

T. van Vuuren

That's nice! Certainly looks good to my.

I built the new tool AIrfix 1/72 Spit 9 and it really is a nice little plane, much easier than your build it seems.

Theuns

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good to hear Theuns, I don't think they could have made it any worse to be honest. I think Airfix must have got more than their money's worth out of those older moulds.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A 1:72 Spitfire, I bet most of us started here ! ahh well yes, my first build on returning to the hobby was actually a Hurricane - which was so bad, no one has ever seen it !!

You've done a nice job here, well done.

Colin M..

First Name
Chris
'twas the very same kit that I first returned to the plastic with. But be warned what for me was meant to be a one off trip down memory lane has turned into a real obsession for me. I also confess (with envy) that your first is so much better than mine. I also regret not still having mine to look back on so keep it safe.

Kind regards

Chris

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks Chris, it is displayed along with some of my older, more respectable builds. It's too late re the bug, I am addicted again.