Airfix 1/72nd Avro Lancaster AA-G, 65 sqd.

I

ian lanc

Extremely sorry if i bore anyone with my Lancaster builds :rolleyes: One day when i get to make a model of my own it might just be a different type of aircraft .

The model is AA-G. HK594.

The only added extra's to this kit are the bulged bomb bay doors and a little patience.

Thanks for looking guys.

ian.

C

Caledonia

Ian, Excellent model, nice clean lines and paint job, keep the bordom coming. Derek

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ian,

Lots of folks complain about the quality of some of the old Airfix kits. Here's living proof that a good modeller can make a good, no, an excellent model, out of almost any kit. Well done.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
very nice ian, lovely paint job. Gerns absolutely right, you can make excellent models out of what some people would regard as old and past it.I know airfix have made a few dogs in the past BUT theyve also made a lot of little gems too,which often get overlooked as people tend to focus on the bad ones . well done cheers tony

P

Plastickitbasher

Hey keep those Lancaster rolling off the workbench I can never get bored of them. Another brilliant build with a top drawer paint finish

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is indeed a great model. I like the Airfix Lancaster loads ! Well done.

Colin.......

T

Tonytiger89

Very Nicely done, Keep up the excellent work-

How did you achieve that lighter effect on the rivets and raised areas?

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Very Nicely done, Keep up the excellent work- How did you achieve that lighter effect on the rivets and raised areas?
Hi sorry for the delay.

I made the rivets stand out by 'dry brushing' the model with Humbrol H56 dark Aluminum, this is easy to do

if you don't know how it goes like this... You dip your brush into the silver then wipe off the excess silver on

some paper towel, the keep brushing the brush on clean paper towel when it looks like none is coming off the brush

now is the time to start brushing on your model, at first it will look as if nothing is happening but after a few brushing

you'll start and see it appear, as soon as you see it STOP doing it as you don't want to over do it. simple as that.

ian

R

Richard B

Beauty...simple as that really! well done on a cracking job!

cheers

Rich

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Magnificent Lancaster, really well finished.

I know this thread is over two years old, but I had to point out that the squadron codes are for No.75 (NZ) Squadron RAF, not 65 Squadron as described.

75 Sqdn Codes

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Ian very nice, great camo and an excellent work on the canopy masking.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
the squadron codes are for No.75 (NZ) Squadron RAF, not 65 Squadron
You are right. I imagine this was a typo in the original post.

This aircraft was shot down by a nightfighter on the night of 29/30 August 1944. It was one of 402 aircraft attacking Stettin.

The Pilot, Flight Sergeant King was the only survivor. He,as you would expect,was the last to leave the aircraft and parachuted down onto Swedish soil.

The Rear Gunner,Sergeant H. W. Causley,was killed in the attack. His remains were recovered from the crash by the Swedes.

The rest of the crew parachuted into the Baltic sea. The bodies of the Radio Operator Sergeant C. B. Hill,and Mid Upper gunner Sergeant D. L. Moon,were recovered later.

The others, Flight Engineer Sergeant J. P. Callahan,Bombardier Flight Sergeant J. Fitzgerald and Navigator Flight Sergeant W. D. Watson were never found.

Lest we forget.

Steve

I

ian lanc

Typo mistake! The actual remains of that Lanc' is in a Swede Museum and this model was made for the museum!