Airfix 1/76 Bedford MK Tactical Refueller

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The completed Bedford, my first vehicle build. For an old kit (recycled by Airfix from JB Models), it is pretty much flash free and quite detailed for its size and scale. What lets this otherwise neat little kit down are the shocking instructions, lack of door mirrors, and decals that disintegrated on contact. But for its price it was worth it and I would build another one, albeit with after-market or spare decals. You could easily knock one of these together in a weekend if you used paints other than enamels.

All OOB except the door mirrors and some decals. This will be displayed with my Harrier on a small base I have made.

View attachment 82096

View attachment 82097

View attachment 82098

View attachment 82099

View attachment 82100

View attachment 82101

View attachment 82102

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

T

treyzx10r

Spot on Joe that looks sweet! Truly impressive,still tweaking how much detail you can pull off in that small of a scale kit! Very nicely done Sir!

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolute cracker and would look really good alongside an aircraft with a couple of figures. Great detail at the scale and a lovely build and the mirrors make a big difference.

I would just make one suggestion, the canvas cover that is rolled up on the offside is a different green to the rest of the truck but the canvas cover that is rolled down on the nearside is the same paint as the metalwork. Maybe painting the rolled down cover would stand out a bit more realistically with a different texture or colour, or maybe just a wash and dry brush would be all that is needed.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
top notch build Joe, you have done a great job and real like the scratch building off the mirrors , looks much better with them :rolleyes:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Joe

The refueller looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it with the Harrier.

Just a suggestion: Have you thought of applying a pin wash to really make the details pop out? You've done a superb job on the paint finish on the truck the addition of a pin wash for example round the wheel nuts would really pop those details out. I wouldn't overdo it as I think the model needs to have clean lines but may just add a little something.

Great build for sure

Cheers

Paul

D

dubster72

Really good Joe - it just shows what a fine build can be achieved in a small scale.

I'd second what Paul & Richard said. The canvas covers especially could do with toning down as the green appears to be very bright.

All in all though - top job!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Top job Joe will be a great compliment to your harrier looking forward to seeing these come together great detail work especially your own additions/paint/decals very impressive we'll done regards John :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for the comments chaps and chapette, I will think about the canvas covers.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've decided I will tone down the colour of the brighter green canvas cover and paint the cover on the left side the same colour as suggested. Updated pics to follow later.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice Joe. The finish is great and the scratch mirrors make a big difference, I'll have to do the same with my fleet of MK's. I noticed that you have made your own number plate (probably because the originals were perished) and that you have painted the front side lights orange as indicators. The front indicators on MK series lorries were mounted on the front wing just in front of the doors. I choose to omit this extra scratch made detail on my MK's.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Very nice Joe. The finish is great and the scratch mirrors make a big difference, I'll have to do the same with my fleet of MK's. I noticed that you have made your own number plate (probably because the originals were perished) and that you have painted the front side lights orange as indicators. The front indicators on MK series lorries were mounted on the front wing just in front of the doors. I choose to omit this extra scratch made detail on my MK's.
Thanks Rick. Yes, the number plates perished and I had no other options available at the time, hence the serial is fictitious in every way. The roundel at the rear was added by me too. Thanks for the info about the indicators. I think I will just leave it for now, I'm happy with it the way it is but thank you for the correction.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The Bedford and Harrier can be seen together here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/raf-harrier-refuelling.27286/

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks nice & tidy. Great build. Had a look at the dio with the Harrier. Brilliant! :smiling3: