Airfix 1/76 Cromwell Iv

F

Fenlander

My better half promised me a quickie :P for Christmas so I decided to have a go this afternoon as it is back to work tomorrow so here it is.

Cromwell-1.jpg

It's a long time since I built a 1/76 AFV but this is really a delightful little kit. This is what you get in the box, not sure about the tube glue though.

Cromwell-2.jpg

The first of the two sprues shows a good level of detail.

Cromwell-3.jpg

As does the second, really like the one piece tracks, much better than the rubber bands.

Cromwell-4.jpg

A few close up pictures of the parts.

Cromwell-5.jpg

Those tracks

Cromwell-6.jpg

Cromwell-7.jpg

These are plates that cover the turret with that iconic big rivet detail

Cromwell-8.jpg

Cromwell-9.jpg

Cromwell-10.jpg

Cromwell-11.jpg

Cromwell-12.jpg

Build starts with the lower hull sides on.

Cromwell-13.jpg

I have cut the tracks off the main sprue but I will leave them on the single sprue to paint and weather them.

Cromwell-14.jpg

Parts go together well, the headlight protector bars are a bit heavy but they are there and nicely done.

Cromwell-15.jpg

Cromwell-17.jpg

On with the turret which consists of a core part with detail plates glued around it.

Cromwell-18.jpg

The main barrel is one piece with half the muzzle brake on it, a tiny second part of the muzzle brake completes it. The barrel is a tad poor as it has a heavy mould line down it's length and to be honest, isn't round! :sad:

I have decided to go with the wading gear and the hedge cutter.

Cromwell-20.jpg

The inner wheels are on for painting as the tracks have to go on while it is like this and before the outer parts of the wheels go on, which will be painted first.

Cromwell-21.jpg

So, there we are. Two hours and it is ready for primer. Hope to get it into the spray shed before the weekend, will have to see how I feel after going back to work............:oops:

Last edited:
D

dubster72

I've heard good things about this kit, so it's great to see you building it Graham. So far it seems like a quality product... except for those moulded-on tools :sad:

Looking forward to seeing some paint later in the week :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That was quick......... I will be watching this one. I like the small scale stuff.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
I've heard good things about this kit, so it's great to see you building it Graham. So far it seems like a quality product... except for those moulded-on tools :sad:
Looking forward to seeing some paint later in the week :smiling3:
The tools aren't bad for 1/72 Patrick but I I would have liked a separate fire extinguisher....

F

Fenlander

\ said:
That was quick......... I will be watching this one. I like the small scale stuff.
It is a nice kit Peter, you can leave the hedge cutter and wading parts off and fit extra eyelets so either version can be done. There is a separate coupola with a seat moulded in and hatch doors so you can leave it open. I would certainly recommend it as a kit. Definitely not my scale but it was a pleasure to build.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm guessing this is a new mould kit? That's good detail for such a tiny model and I like what you've done with it so far Graham.

Does anyone know why Airfix is persisting with this 1/76 scale stuff when the standard today seems to be 1/72? It might not seem like a big difference, but if you put two kits of the same vehicle side by side, the difference is very plain to see.

F

Fenlander

Cheers Dave, I always think of them as 1/72 in fact I have incorrectly titled this as a 1/72 build, now corrected. I think it is their railway heritage isn't HO I/76?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is very detailed for 1/76, nice work so far Graham.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Cheers Dave, I always think of them as 1/72 in fact I have incorrectly titled this as a 1/72 build, now corrected. I think it is their railway heritage isn't HO I/76?
HO is 1/87 I believe Graham.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Airfix 1/76 are OO gauge or 4mm = 1 foot.
This rule does not apply to the track gauge, HO/OO runs on the same gauge track. OO is a typically British fudge of two scales coming together in one model!

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
This rule does not apply to the track gauge, HO/OO runs on the same gauge track. OO is a typically British fudge of two scales coming together in one model!
Roughly translated as "Small" :D