Airfix 54mm Napoleonic French Line Infantry

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That must have taken both time and skill Neil to get those stripes so well, even with the straight legs it can't have been easy.:thumb2: Impressed.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That’s great Neil. The mattress ticking trousers are excellent. He has a real sense of life about him.
Thank you Tim- glad you recognised it!
Green on his knees, dirt on the elbows, breeches not remotely regulation - a real soldier on campaign!
Cheers Steve- I ALWAYS get green stains if i wear white trousers and theta's trying to avoid it,so I'm sure they must all have been filthy
That must have taken both time and skill Neil to get those stripes so well, even with the straight legs it can't have been easy.:thumb2: Impressed.
Thanks John. The trick ,as I learned from Tim in his SBS, is to paint the thin stripes first, then make them thinner by painting up to them with the background colour. Not as difficult as I expected, which is why stayed with it.
Just caught up with this - great work, details are fantastic (well beyond my levels!)
Welcome aboard Gerry, don't be so modest now!
just gets better and better
Cheers Steve

I've not got anything to report at the moment- had a bit of a mojo dip and a lot of intense work. But there will be progress soon.
thanks all for your continued interest.
Neil

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Excellent work going into this as always neil . Loving the stripey pyjama bottoms :smiling5:
Thank you Tony,
No, not being modest Neil, just realistic - last time I tried detailing a face, it would have been more at home on a horror film set!
:tears-of-joy: well at least it would have had a home somewhere
Hi Neil
He is superb. Brave to go for the stripy pants but great call because they look excellent.
Jim
Cheers Jim- they look a lot better with the Mark 1 eyeball;)
Outstanding work. As said before your dio places the viewer in the midst of the battle.
That's very kind, Christopher , and welcome to the forum

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I’m half-way through painting Fusilier 3.
It’s MUCH less stressful to paint all the detail without the equipment in the way, but we shall see how easy it is to attach it all convincingly after the event.
And as I mentioned in my WWI French Infantry thread, I am now finishing completely from the top down, in order to avoid handling areas already painted.
That too is a lot less stressful.
So here he is, for better or worse. As always the blue is in need of matting down, and it is less black in real life than it looks in the pics. Not my favourite face but I don’t imagine soldiers were all good looking Greek gods in those days either!

3i.jpg3ii.jpg

Thanks for looking

Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Looking superb
Cheers Steve
I especially like the crests on the turnbacks
Thanks Chris-amazingly they all went well enough first time. Usually I have to do loads of retouching with lettering.
Coming on Neil.
Thanks Tim
Agree, that is a very nice touch!
Cheers Gerry. I'm quite relieved because they are moulded on to the original Airfix turnbacks, but these tails are from something else so I had to freehand them. I've also noticed that the turnbacks are lightly wrong-they should come right down to edge of the tail , so I will have to rectify that with the subsequent figures.
Hi Neil
Once again you've nailed it :thumb2:
Jim
that's very kind, Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Fusilier 3 is now done.
I think I've got away with fitting the equipment after the event. Some areas could be better but on the whole I am happy. I will try a bit harder with the next ones.
I remodeled his left hand to improve the grip and I drilled holes in the cartridge box, which I later discovered were inaccurate, but who will know.....? ;)

He looks like the BFG here :tears-of-joy:
Fusilier 3i.jpg

Fusilier 3iii.jpgFusilier3iiii.jpgFusilier3iiiii.jpg
Fusilier 3ii.jpg
thanks for watching, and now it's on with number four, the falling over guy.
cheers
Neil