Airfix jackal

First Name
rob

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice build Rob i like it small,and neat, good job on the weathering and the figures are great as well, nicely done ;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice build Rob, unusual dio setting, nice to see a two level and slope piece, works well. I like it mate.

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

That is really good Rob - the base is very imaginative & the Jackal well painted & weathered, especially

in 1/48.

Better photos please!

Cheers

Patrick

L

Laurie

Yes agree with Patrick Rob you are not doing yourself justice. Looks really good but with better photos plus I have this to build and would like to pinch ideas.

The focus is out and I suspect you are taking the clips to close and the camera will not focus that close to.

Laurie

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Rob the last picture is the best to see what you have done looks great

But better pictures if you can please

N

noble

\ said:
heres my attempt at airfix 1.48 jackal with extra pe set. brush painted and weathered with vallejo washes and tamiya powders. set on a simple polystyrene base layered with decorators filler and a bit of woodland scenics. photos are crap but there is a small water feature in there somewhere!View attachment 83394 View attachment 83395 View attachment 83396 View attachment 83397 View attachment 83398 View attachment 83397 View attachment 83396 View attachment 83395 View attachment 83399 View attachment 83400
nice build on the jackel nice paint and weathering, the last photo is definitely the best shot.

scott

Last edited:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Good build, I like the dio as well, split level makes it look interesting.

Lee :smiling3:

First Name
rob
cheers folks, ill try and do better photos later on. cant seem to take close ups without losing focus. camera is very cheap....canon ixus v2....and very outdated. could anybody reccomend a nice easy idiot proof camera at a reasonable price?

D

dubster72

The camera is ok except for it's macro focus which is 10cm - a bit too far for model photography.

I have the Ixus 50 which cost less than a tenner on eBay - it will focus down to 3cm. Don't get hung up on megapixel numbers - up to 6MP is sufficient.

Cheers

Patrick

D

dubster72

The 'further away ' ones are much better Rob (sorry for the technical lingo!) ;)

L

Laurie

First Rob I would see what the spec on your camera gives for minimum focus. The last picture, the best one, in the series above is the one furthest away from the camera.

I would as a first switch off the digital zoom, if you are using it, as there is deterioration as I have found with experience.

I take it that it has a pre set up ie press the release button part down and then there is a bleep-- if you are in focus etc. No bleep the camera is no set.

Getting a camera. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-E-410-10-0MP-SLR-Camera-with-17-5-45mm-Lens-extras-Bri-/231244730225?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item35d7428f71

This is the camera I use and for £99 is a snip. Mine cost £500 approx 5 years ago. It has, which I use for model making pictures, a good macro setting. Also with the pixel count it enables cropping and enlarging with out any great deterioration in picture quality. There are of course other makes with equal qualities just that I know this camera.

This is with an Olympus 410

View attachment 83228

Laurie

4.jpg

First Name
rob
thanks laurie. i think its best if i go to a proper camera shop so i can explain exactly what i need. that way, they can show me how to set it up etc. its only going to be used to photograph models so i dont really want to spend megabucks

L

Laurie

Careful there Rob as some of these assistants do no have much of a clue.

A thought. Your later pictures the last two are very nice and in focus (also detail of the model is looking good). No doubt you wanted them a bit closer to see the detail.

There are very cheap editing photo programmes. With these you can crop the photo which gives an automatic enlargement of the original photo. The cropping choose able in the area you want it. I do this for mine and it works well.

They are easy to use and could save money on getting another camera. In enlarging an area there is a bit of loss but not much. If you PM the last photo as a JPEG I will crop it and you can see the result.

Any further help please shout.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice job rob I like the jackal and you've done a grey job :smiling3:

P

Polux

Very nice Jackal, lovely work.

I specially like the "volume" on this little scene.

D

dubster72

As I said before, the minimum macro focus of Robs camera is 10cm - thats the Canon spec.

As for spending £99, why? Mine cost a tenner & I can get this close

View attachment 83230

That night vision kit is about 10mm high ;)

DSCN9573~2.jpg