Airfix Lancaster Dambuster all new tool version.

P

Plastickitbasher

Hello all,

I got me one of the new tooled 1/72nd Lancaster Dambuster version from Airfix.

What's in the red box

You get a total of seven sprues as follows

X 4 Large sprues

x 2 Medium sprues

All six in a light sky blue plastic

X 1 Clear sprue

On all sprues I've found no flash, no miss moulds just seem lines which clean up quickly with a sanding stick.

The only fault (ish) is there are a lot of ejector pin marks but they also sand out very easily.

X 1 paint sheet

X 1 Decal sheet

X 1 21 page instruction booklet with a total of 110 stages.

The build (so far)

The parts fit has been great so far and I've not needed any green filler, cockpit detail is also very good see photo's below.

Photo's

View attachment 62940View attachment 62941View attachment 62942View attachment 62943

View attachment 62944View attachment 62945View attachment 62946View attachment 62947

View attachment 62948View attachment 62949View attachment 62950

I was going to try and have this ready for the 70th anniversary, but with speed I build at I think I'm going to miss that!

Anyways enjoy the photo's I'll post more later

Regards

David

View attachment 64332

View attachment 64333

View attachment 64334

View attachment 64335

View attachment 64336

View attachment 64337

View attachment 64338

View attachment 64339

View attachment 64340

View attachment 64341

View attachment 64342

Lancaster_0001.jpg

Lancaster_0002.jpg

Lancaster_0003.jpg

Lancaster_0004.jpg

Lancaster_0005.jpg

Lancaster_0006.jpg

Lancaster_0007.jpg

Lancaster_0008.jpg

Lancaster_0009.jpg

Lancaster_0010.jpg

Lancaster_0011.jpg

First Name
Adrian
Its great to see and hear your feedback, I had heard bad things from a member of Modelzone staff but seeing this I can say its just uninformed chit chat.

Adrian

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That looks really good compared to the airfix old tooling stuff I've got in my stash.

I'll look forward to seeing more of this build.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for that info David. The cockpit is looking sharp, nice work.

I

ian lanc

Got to admit the interior is many thousand times better than the old Aifix Lanc' interior...lol

Seat material needs to be leather green though and not brown.

Will be watching the in-build of this model and eventually I may get myself a kit.....'may'

P

Plastickitbasher

\ said:
Seat material needs to be leather green though and not brown.
Ian thanks for the info, what shade of green would you suggest?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looks very nice Dave, what's the surface detail like ?

Colin M

P

Plastickitbasher

Update

Hello all

I have an update on this build.

Firstly sorry for the long delay, I've been away for a week and then the batteries finally gave up and I've been forgetting to get some new ones.

But I remembered to get some today lol

The fuselage.

The fuselage has now been fixed together, it went together ok but on the top side there was a small step so set to with some Mr Surfacer 1,000 three coats was enough to sort out the step, the under side had the same treatment although the area just after the rear of the bomb bar needed a little bit of Mr Surfacer 500 as there was a slightly bigger gap. Now that's all been done it does look good.

The Wings

The upper wings went on next, now it might be me but the wing spars to my mind do look a little thin, ok there is the extra detail around the wheel bays, but I felt a little extra was needed so in the areas where they wouldn't be seen I stuck in some short lengths of right angle strip.

Then the lower wings went on, now I did need to do a lot of sanding and dry fitting as the fit to start off with was very tight around the wheel bay opening and where the wing butted up to the fuselage side as the is a large seem on the wing end. I also needed to use the Mr Surfacer 1,000 along the wings leading edges just to finish off the leading edge.

Tail plane horizontals

These went together nicely however the locating tabs needed to be sanded and a lot of dry fitting as they are slightly larger than the locating holes in the fuselage both top and bottom faces and the sides of the tabs needed sanding. I managed to get a good tight fit and only needed a small amount of Mr cement S to hold them in place. I fixed the flaps with a slight downward tilt for a more used look.

Engine covers.

These went together really well only needing a very small amount of Mr Surfacer 1,000 and are ready to be fitted to the wings.

Thoughts on the kit so far.

It's going together as an Airfix kit does nice and easy yeah ok I've used some Mr Surfacer but I think that's more me being Mr fussy lol it's an Airfix kit the instructions are very easy to follow. There are a few fit issues but then most kits fight back a bit.

Photo's

View attachment 64094View attachment 64095View attachment 64096View attachment 64097View attachment 64098View attachment 64099

More to follow soon

Regards

David

View attachment 65319

View attachment 65320

View attachment 65321

View attachment 65322

View attachment 65323

View attachment 65324

Lancaster_0016.jpg

Lancaster_0017.jpg

Lancaster_0018.jpg

Lancaster_0019.jpg

Lancaster_0020.jpg

Lancaster_0021.jpg

P

Plastickitbasher

\ said:
Looks pretty Awesome
Thanks

As a bit of an update for this build, it's still moving on slowly. I've had to use a lot of Mr Surfacer both 500 and 1,000 with lots of sanding plus rescribbing.

I've spent a lot of time on the wing leading edges as they didn't quite line up right.

However the underside and the sides of the fuselage have been painted and it's starting to look the part now.

Will be starting the topside soon.

A question for you all, as there are two side windows to fitted to the canopy I've tried placing them and the dipping in Humbrol clear but it didn't hold that well, Krystel Klear I think will be to thick has anyone got any other ideas?

Try to post a few pics over the weekend.

Thanks inadvance

Regards

David