Airfix Stuka - 1/48

First Name
Ross
Hi all

With my last few builds being either tracked or wheeled, I felt the need to build something with wings and this was my choice. I have the Trumpeter 1/32 G in the stash but wanted something in 1/48 and I thought I would build the other end.

Stuka.jpg

So I will be building the bottom example, from what I read it was one of the first 3 sent by the Luftwaffe to the Legion Condor.

I've picked up the Eduard mask set and while trolling the website saw this, it was pretty cheap so I threw it in.

stuka 1.jpg

Photos of sprues in the future.

cheers
Ross

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ross
The Stuka is one of the most well known and recognisable German planes of WW2 and yet you don't see many modelled. I'll sit in on this. I have not heard of Yahu Models.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Totally agree with Jim. Will pull up a seat and wish you all the best

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ross,
nice choice - especially the Condor Legion finish. I did the 1/48 ICM Henschel Hs 126 of the Legion recently - a nice exercise in masking the splinter camo!
Dave

First Name
Ross
Jim, I always think of that scene in Battle of Britain at the radar station when I think of "STUKA's". I've never heard of them either but it's a pre-painted instrument panel like Eduard are starting to do.

Steve, welcome along mate.

Dave, thanks mate, that is something I have been thinking about.

Well to the music of the Rogue Traders and the words of The Master, here come the sprues, here come the sprues.

airfix stuka 1.jpg
The downside of Airfix packing everything into one bag, though these had their own bag in the big bag, very clear, very nice, an open and a closed version.

airfix stuka 1a.jpg

airfix stuka 1b.jpg

airfix stuka 1c.jpg
Two types of propeller supplied.

airfix stuka 1d.jpg

airfix stuka 1e.jpg

airfix stuka 1f.jpg

airfix stuka 1h.jpg
Decals look very nice.

Now for the downside.

airfix stuka 1g.jpg
I think this is the floor of the cockpit, also there are a couple of inserts for the cockpit that have some nasty ejector marks, all known before purchase and I should be able to clean them up with little trouble, still its a little disappointing in this day an age.

Still all in all it looks to be a very nice kit, really looking forward to making a start on it.

I have a big spiel about Stuka's, with pictures and all kinds of things but as it's all geared the G, canon version, I will leave it for then.

I have some Luftwaffe seatbelts in the stash, classed as Fighter seatbelts, would the pilot have used that kind of seatbelt or is there something different for a dive bomber, the poor gunner (by the look of the seat) probably only had a lap belt.

If anybody knows I would be interested to find out.

cheers
Ross

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Ross, will be watching your build with interest

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
Jim, I always think of that scene in Battle of Britain at the radar station when I think of "STUKA's". I've never heard of them either but it's a pre-painted instrument panel like Eduard are starting to do.

Steve, welcome along mate.

Dave, thanks mate, that is something I have been thinking about.

Well to the music of the Rogue Traders and the words of The Master, here come the sprues, here come the sprues.

View attachment 314740
The downside of Airfix packing everything into one bag, though these had their own bag in the big bag, very clear, very nice, an open and a closed version.

View attachment 314741

View attachment 314742

View attachment 314743
Two types of propeller supplied.

View attachment 314744

View attachment 314745

View attachment 314746

View attachment 314747
Decals look very nice.

Now for the downside.

View attachment 314748
I think this is the floor of the cockpit, also there are a couple of inserts for the cockpit that have some nasty ejector marks, all known before purchase and I should be able to clean them up with little trouble, still its a little disappointing in this day an age.

Still all in all it looks to be a very nice kit, really looking forward to making a start on it.

I have a big spiel about Stuka's, with pictures and all kinds of things but as it's all geared the G, canon version, I will leave it for then.

I have some Luftwaffe seatbelts in the stash, classed as Fighter seatbelts, would the pilot have used that kind of seatbelt or is there something different for a dive bomber, the poor gunner (by the look of the seat) probably only had a lap belt.

If anybody knows I would be interested to find out.

cheers
Ross

Based on the books I have:

Gunner only has a lap belt, Pilot appears to have the standard pilots harness, 2 over the shoulder straps, 2 lap straps .

If need I can post a picture once at home.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks like a nice kit. Great to see it being built.

First Name
Ross
Joe, welcome mate.
Dom, thanks mate, exactly what I needed to know.
Mick, cheers.
Colin, welcome.

cheers
Ross

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
Joe, welcome mate.
Dom, thanks mate, exactly what I needed to know.
Mick, cheers.
Colin, welcome.

cheers
Ross
As promised - here's a picture from the classic airframe book showing the pilots seat. Image for discussion only.

Attachments

• WP_20180924_16_16_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180924_16_16_15_Pro.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: JR
First Name
Ross
Well I've made a start, which wasn't easy, it's Grand Final weekend here and I have both teams I support in the Grand Finals, Collingwood in the AFL and Sydney City (Eastern Suburbs) in the NRL. I think from memory I had both these teams in the Grand Finals in 1980 or 81 and both lost, lets hope they do better this time.

airfix stuka 2.jpg
airfix stuka 2a.jpgairfix stuka 2b.jpg
airfix stuka 2c.jpg

This is how it all goes together.

airfix stuka 2d.jpg

I can start working on the seam while I make the HGW seatbelts.

Well Collingwood has lost their game, 3 hours to go before kickoff in the NRL.

cheers
Ross

First Name
Ross
Well not the most scary mascot around, I don't see a lot of terror when I say I'll sic my chicken on you :smiling5: but they have done it.

21 - 6 Sydney Roosters 2018 Premiers.
Roosters.jpg

cheers
Ross

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not to late to hope to join the gang Ross .
Just keep that chicken under control
John .

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Ahh good to see another Aussie. A good choice of kit btw
John

First Name
Wouter
Hi Ross, nice to see a Stuka being built. Looking forward to this one ^^

Cheers