Airfix Vickers Valiant (and two old friends)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 31510View attachment 31511View attachment 31512View attachment 31513View attachment 31514

So, the long awaited (for me) Airfix Valiant is now completed. It was a straight forward build with just a couple of minor areas requiring attention which anyone could deal with. I've finished the model in Humbrol gloss white, then a layer of satin varnish, just like the other two. So they are all painted exactly the same, and all look quite different ! I did aim to get the finish of the Valiant somewhere in between the Victor and Vulcan, which I believe I've managed.

View attachment 31515View attachment 31516View attachment 31517View attachment 31518View attachment 31519

And I couldn't resist it, all three V bombers together, I don't know if this ever happened (well it did in my garden) maybe someone knows better.

Regards

Colin M................

View attachment 36543

View attachment 36544

View attachment 36545

View attachment 36546

View attachment 36547

View attachment 36548

View attachment 36549

View attachment 36550

View attachment 36551

View attachment 36552

Front LHS.jpg

Front RHS.jpg

Main gear.jpg

Rear LHS.jpg

Valiant and Vulcan.jpg

3 Astern.jpg

3 astern low.jpg

3 dia.jpg

3 edit.jpg

3 front.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whether it happened,outside your garden,I know not. That's a very cool looking line up you've got there,all three together look really good.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a superb line-up of aircraft Colin! They should be shown together in their own display cabinet.

I think this might be the first time I've found I know something that Steve (Stona) doesn't! And you know as well of course. You can find all three lined up together in the Cold War display hangar at Cosford.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
You can find all three lined up together in the Cold War display hangar at Cosford.Gern
Doh! I've been there .

Cheers

Steve

S

STRAT'71

I don't know if it is just me, but I find the Vulcan looks the most 'real'.

I remember when I built my last Vulcan, a magazine at the time was building one, and referring to the raised panel lines, the builder stated that he removes all panel lines 'these days'.

I built mine, and a Victor, without panel lines, and thought the models looked more like the photos of the real thing.

Still great looking models though.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is fantastic Collin! A five star build and paint looks great too!

What a line up! Good that you have a display apron in the back garden.

Great collection!

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

What a fantastic trio of aircraft. All credit to you for three great builds and for taking the time to photograph them together. I have to say my favourite has always been the Vulcan, possibly because I have actually seen one, but the delta shape is just so iconic.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant job colin matey, the 3 together look superb. 5 star job. Its been great watching the valiant come together, youve really got the hang of these white finishes, maybe you should start on airliners next!!LOL (or, maybe an airfix nimrod in the early 1970's grey/ white scheme ,MMMM food for thought eh! and you can pick em up for under £20 now!!) cheers tony

S

STRAT'71

What do you chaps do with all these large models?

They are so hard to display, and when I have done the Valiant, where do I put all three V Bombers, plus the TSR2s, plus more V Bombers, plus, plus etc.

My loft is full of models I have built over the years. Seems such a waste.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all for taking a look.

That display apron Ian is where the wife would like some decking - over my dead body - I hope she doesn't read this...........

Tony, airliners are really not me, well except for 'Buffalo Airways'. Now they have some interesting planes.

I think most people will always prefer the Vulcan Richard, I know I do. It's got to be the shape, seeing one of these fly in the late 50's would have been like something out of a science fiction movie.

Now then, Dave and William mentioned storage. Gentlemen, I present the 'Mk1 V bomber storage solution' Three models in the place of one. Do you think Cosford might be interested in this one Dave ?

View attachment 31563

Regards

Colin M..........

View attachment 36587

Operation stack.jpg

S

STRAT'71

That stand looks good, but how? Seems to defy gravity and all the other laws of the Universe.

Can you describe it better.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Cosford may very well be interested Colin, but I can foresee one small snag! How would we be able to meet up in our usual place - under the nose of the Vulcan? :lol

Gern

PS Smashing idea to display them like that but I don't quite see where Cinderella's castle fits in!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Gern, Look carefuly and you'll see that cinderella's castle has just been used for target practice by a gulf war GR1 Tornado, plus the fact that daughter No,1 made it I think means it's there for life !

William, It's made with 3 or 4mm round bar bought from B and Q at some amazing price, and just carefully bent to shape in a vice. When it was only two levels I did weld it together (little x bars hold the two sides together). But the extension (I suppose this makes it the Mk 1a, or 2) I bent to shape and then used Araldite and small cable ties (I couldn't be bothered to get all the welding stuff out for a couple of tacks) to attach the new metal to the old. Hey presto...........

Regards

Colin M.......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, cracking way to display three superb models.

Dave, if Darth Vader is at Cosford again next year we can all stand on his shoulders...sorted!

Cheers,

Ron

S

STRAT'71

Thanks Colin,

Any chance of some photos from different angle?

I think it looks good.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Colin, cracking way to display three superb models.Dave, if Darth Vader is at Cosford again next year we can all stand on his shoulders...sorted!

Cheers,

Ron
That'd be OK as long as Mrs Ron hasn't kidnapped him first!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
That'd be OK as long as Mrs Ron hasn't kidnapped him first!Gern
She said "No chance, I've seen what's under his cloak, and it's not a light sabre!"

Sorry Colin, couldn't resist it.....

Ron

View attachment 36607

odds and sods 058.jpg