Airfix Vulcan

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 11844View attachment 11853View attachment 11852View attachment 11851View attachment 11850View attachment 11849View attachment 11848View attachment 11847View attachment 11846View attachment 11843View attachment 11845

After a month of on off building, I've finally finished my Vulcan. Lots of filler, lots of paint, then more filler and more paint ! It's not 100% perfect (or even finished, some may spot what is missing - no prizes) but at last it's nearly done. Despite all the well known problems with this kit, I enjoyed the challenge, and would probably do another one, well in a year or two...........Anyway, the pics are attached. I went for the anti flash white version and once again lost my pre shading !! I really thought white over black, how can I go wrong....fool I am !

Colin M........

View attachment 21296

View attachment 21297

View attachment 21298

View attachment 21299

View attachment 21300

View attachment 21301

View attachment 21302

View attachment 21303

View attachment 21304

View attachment 21305

View attachment 21306

Front LHS Close.jpg

Intake.jpg

Engines.jpg

Front RHS.jpg

Curves.jpg

STBD LG.jpg

Imagine.jpg

Port gear.jpg

Front LHS far.jpg

LHS Above.jpg

Above.jpg

F

Fenlander

Have to say, that looks very impressive to me. I bet you are proud of the intakes after all the work you did on them, they look perfect. The overall finish looks very nice and the toned down decals look really good in scale. I would love to do a model of this but I could do it justice like this. Extremely well done Colin.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It certainly looks like you've wrestled this 'putty monster' into submission! Nice one Colin.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
well done colin ,this looks superb. everybody loves the vulcan and it makes a nice change to see it in its early nuclear white . I know the airfix kit has come in for a LOT of stick in the past but youve made a fantastic job of it , particularly the intakes. A brilliant job on a brilliant aircraft , heres to the next model! cheers tony

D

dubster72

You deserve a medal for getting such a tricky kit to look so good Colin! I know that I'd have given up on it a long time back! Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Beautiful,it goes to show you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. That's a great job on a white finish,white markings scare me.

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Colin, Excellent job, did you use the White Ensign anti-flash paint? I love the Vulcan, will always remember the air displays of the 60's when they simulated a scramble by firing up all four engines simultaneously and being in the air in 4 minutes if memory serves. I have a slide of XL321 in camo on a static display I took around the same time. Like you, despite the kits problems, I might just be tempted to make another one. What's your next project? Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all for your comments.

Graham, the decals are the 'as supplied' airfix ones, and I have to say, behaved themselves brilliantly - an absolute pleasure to work with.

Gern, a putty monster, so true !

Tony, yes I think everyone does love the Vulcan. My daughters saw one fly for their first time last summer at Cosford - this is when the decided to buy one for me, for Christmas.

Give up on it Patrick, I may have had the odd day or two where I 'pressed flowers and / or weaved baskets' for a break ! The white was actually a bit of a pain to spray, but I think this was because it was gloss and such a large area. Covering it up after spraying was impossible for me Steve.

I decided on Humbrol gloss white with a satin varnish Derek, mainly because the very few (quality) photo's I could find seemed to indicate a brilliant white finish, but in reality, how long would a gloss finish actually stay truly gloss ? oh yes and maybe I was being a bit lazy, gloss was good for the decals ! As for my next project, I think I need a quick hit, so the 1:48 mosquito might have to wait a bit longer as I reach for a 1:72 Harrier GR3 in artic camouflage.

Regards

Colin

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is excellent Colin, always loved the anti flash white version of the Vulcan. Top work on a top subject.

Five stars, John

I

ian lanc

Very good job on the intakes and it turned out very well indeed.

Not pulling your model down but have you painted the black section under the nose a bit too much ??

ian.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi colin , looking at pics 2 and 3 i'd say you got it spot on. If you carried the line on from the top of the black area it meets the bottom of the canopy at the back, just like your model. cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well spotted Tony,

I hadn't realised that line did that, but now you point it out, I've got it.

Cheers

Colin M......

I

ian lanc

Yeh looking at those pictures i'd say your model looks well

all you need now is a white Victor to go at the side of your Vulcan.

ian.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Yeh looking at those pictures i'd say your model looks wellall you need now is a white Victor to go at the side of your Vulcan.

ian.
Speaking of which,ian , the display at cosford is awesome,all 3 grouped together ,vulcan, valiant and victor. As you say a white victor would look great next to colins vulcan, its very rare you see a victor modelled in the white finish isnt it? cheers tony

I

ian lanc

I don't recall ever seeing a white model Victor, plenty of the camo and sand coloured ones knocking about.

I wonder if Colin would be upto making one :surrender:The Revell re-box is alot cheaper than the original Matchbox one.... go on Colin !

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ian, Tony,

Don't get me started on the trio ! That idea had already bounced around the inside of my head. My Vulcan sits on the right of my comp monitor, the Victor (back engineered matchbox tanker) could sit to the left, and the Valiant could hang on the wall above the monitor. But, and it's a big BUT, who makes the Valiant these days ?? Oh no, 'due for release 2011 Airfix Vickers Valiant' Oh dear oh dear, I hope you are both happy now, even my Vulcan is starting to look lonely.................sitting there by itself.........wanting a friend or two.......

Cheers

Colin M........

I

ian lanc

Mach2 makes the Valiant and Hannants have it in stock but for some reason the price of that kit has jumped to nearly £60

i think early last year it was £48, we always seem to get ripped of with limited run kits. The Mach Valiant pops up on ebay

quite often, when airfix eventually bring out their Valiant it will be £35.

There are resin aftermarket stuff like wheels/intakes and that will take the price even higher to £20 more.

Hannants - Mach 2 MACH7236 1:72

ian.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hi Ian,

I've had a look at the Mach 2 item, and it seems to be a bit of hard work to get it looking good. So, I think I'll wait for the Airfix offering, which I think will be new moulds.

Colin M........

R

Richard B

Hi Colin

I'm a newbie on this forum.

Fantastic work on the Vulcan, looks great in the original white 'anti flash' finish!

I've been away from building kits for about 15 years or so but recently have been trawling the net on model forums etc as my interest in aircraft never diminished, and its this forum that made my decide to purchase an airfix kit. I thought I'd start of small so I bought the new mould Airfix 1-72 Hawker Hurricane-Sea Hurricane IIc. Can't wait for it to arrive now!

I saw the Vulcan kit and was so tempted to buy it was silly but having not built in awhile, decided to build a much smaller item. Having seen yours now though......I may well have to add to my delivery in earnst!

Cheers

Rich