Alclad Aluminum

F

Fizik

Hello!

I would need some experienced painters help. I need to replicate polished aluminum and found that Alclad might be the way to go. So the result that I am expecting is this: View attachment 30214

Right now my detail is more or less something like this (made from styrene):

View attachment 30215

So can anyone tell me the paint components for Alclad that I should use to get this result. What primer, base coat, paint, clear...?

Kind regards,

Andreas from Estonia

View attachment 35408

View attachment 35409

130562231_a9d8be3146.jpg

DSCN2676.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You will need:

A very well prepaired surface, some Grey (or black) primer, a gloss black undercoat then Alclad II polished Aluminium.

Air brush on with a very light hand and in random directions. Finish of with Alclad's Clear cote.

If you can get to it I would recommend polishing the plastic and the primer and the undercoat before applying the Alclad.

Ian M

R

Richy C

Hi Andreas , I would not call myself experienced but I have used quite a few of the Alclad range , the normal procedure for alclad metal finnish paint is - whatever primer you normally use then a high gloss black then your chosen alclad metal finnish , I don`t use a clear coat on top as it can dull the finnish , but alclad now do a clearcoat but have not used it so can`t comment on that one ,

I can`t promise the polished alu will be spot but it should be close , another option is try the alclad chrome but miss out the black gloss that way you will get a dull chrome finnish that should be pretty close also ,

If you can get both colours your best bet is to try them out on a spare wheel or sprue as a test .

Hope this has helped

Richy

F

Fizik

Thank you for your replies

The "spare wheel" takes 30-40 work hours to make :smiling3: so i would have to test on something else, but yes, testing is important. But what about the glossy black? Some say that the Alclad's own Gloss Black Base is not as good (glossy) as some spray can glossy blacks. If not to use Alclad glossy black then what to look for?

Also clear coat. Does spraying clear onto the gloss black base and polishing it before Alclad polished aluminum make sense and reward with better result? If so, then what clear coat to use? The same Alclad aqua gloss clear that is used on alclad metal paints?

Andreas

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've heard of problems with the Alclad Gloss Black Base not drying and have not used it. Maybe someone has used it more recently and can give an up to date opinion. Any gloss black finish will work as long as it doesn't react with the Alclad which is laquer based. I've used Humbrol gloss black with no problem.

I don't see that spraying a clear coat onto the black before applying the Alclad would serve any purpose or give a better result.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use the Alclad black gloss and have not yet had problems with it drying. I find that this to works best (gives the best glossy finish) if you give several dust coats to build up the Blackness (?) slowly.

I have also used their clear cote and it has no effect on the colour and gives a good shine.

I use their primer for just about everything I prime just because its 1) a good primer, 2) it dries fast and 3) its pretty tough stuff!!!

I have heard that both Humbrol gloss black and also regular auto paint in a rattle can give good results. (Humbrol black gloss now there is a paint that for me takes for ever to dry!!!)

Ian M

M

m1ks

I've only ever used Humbrol gloss enamel under alclad paints with excellent results.

However, if you're after a finish like the SAAB wheel pictured, a far easier, cheaper and less painful way is Humbrols polished alu metalcote.

Airbrush, leave 30 min, buff, done.

F

Fizik

I will give the Humbrol metalcote a try before proceeding to Alclad. At least the Humbrol can be found from a local shop.

M

m1ks

I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results, their polished aluminium, steel and gunmetal are excellent, paint on much duller and darker than the end product so don't panic.

Alclad is excellent, it really is but takes more prep than is really necessary i think for a nice polished aluminium, if you want really really shiny then alclad's the way to go