Alexandros Models Freebooter, 1697, 1:24th scale

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is by the same sculptor as Pirate #1 (Allan Carrasco), but (oddly) produced by a different manufacturer. It's a partner to the other sculpt - they're intended to be displayable together (or apart, of course). This was the model that attracted me - Pirate #1 is less impactful, but they're great as a pair.

This wicked, wicked man is much more flamboyant than Pirate #1, so I kept the colours on him low-key, to maximise the contrast between them. This guy is clearly the show-off.

In black primer:

20221107_152953.jpg20221107_153046.jpg

And with a zenithal prime (of Vallejo Desert Tan primer, just because):
20221107_154456.jpg
There's something oddly crabbed about his hands. His left hand should be sitting squarely on the sword pommel, but I think its OK resting on the wrist like that. The right hand looks suspiciously like it was originally holding something - probably a pistol - but when that idea was shelved, he kept the odd hand position. That's my best guess. I think it looks like he might be trying to conceal a stiletto in that hand, so I might add just the tip of a blade showing below his fingertips.

Got to say I loved filling with Milliput and IPA. Making a well in a little blob of Milliput and filling it with IPA gives a wonderful range of filler consistencies, from a thin wash to a very thick gloop, all ready to be used, all together. And a brush moistened with IPA really does work wonders with smoothing over surfaces. I can't see why I'd use anything else, now.

I used the external mac valve on my airbrush for the first time while priming. I thought it was good for switching from broad coats of primer to fine highlighting in discrete places. I'll experiment more in due course.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
He looks great, quite a character.
Got to say I loved filling with Milliput and IPA. Making a well in a little blob of Milliput and filling it with IPA gives a wonderful range of filler consistencies, from a thin wash to a very thick gloop, all ready to be used, all together. And a brush moistened with IPA really does work wonders with smoothing over surfaces. I can't see why I'd use anything else, now.
Well I never knew that. I reckon that could well be the "useful tip of the year". Thanks

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice one Paul. I can see that you like this guy more than the first, me too.

John
I think they'll work well together as a vignette. I've tried to give them different treatments to accentuate how different they are. But yes, this is a fabulous pose and costume.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Loving this one. The faded red culottes are spectacular and contrast superb with the purple tones in his hat.
Thanks Tim. I'm really, really pleased with his slouch hat - a mixture of (consults notes ;)) German camo black brown (love this shade), violet and a little bit of black, with lots of glazes of violet mixed with brown sand and bone white.

I really wrestled with his pantaloons (:anguished:) - so many different shades and tones - two yellows, two oranges, a red and a brown, and blends between them. The only good thing about orange paint is that it's only good as a glaze, and if you treat it like that, and accept you'll need lots of layers to get any sort of smoothness, then it's fine.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've completely given up on 'weathering' them - these guys are out to impress, so they can bathe and get the laundry done. After all, they're pirates, they can do what they like!

And I can't bring myself to do it anyway.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The freebooter is nearing completion - just the metallics now - so I'm thinking about basing.

The bases of the freebooter and the pirate figure can be interlocked, like this:

20221115_220841.jpg

So for quite some time I assumed that was the 'best' arrangement, despite it being a very passive, static pairing. But then I thought, how about switching them?

20221115_220927.jpg

Then I thought, how about the big guy stands in front, protecting his boss? Better...

20221115_221026.jpg

I took this idea as far as making an infill, but then, if I push them closer together, the freebooter is whispering to his mate, while taking a sidelong glance over his shoulder - much more menacing:

20221115_221008.jpg

From another angle:

20221115_221306.jpg

Still very undecided.