All Black Paint finish

First Name
Dave
Im a bit stuck as how to progress the all black paint job on my Black Widow.I had intended using different shades of black to pick out a few panels and so break up an otherwise boring colour scheme.I've spent a lot of time rescribing panel lines and was going to highlight them by spraying the model black which i've done.And then i was going to highlight some panels by spraying different shades of black in the centre of the panels.Only i cant work out how to do this.Should i lay thin 'sausages' of blue tak over the lines and spray in between. Or use a raised card mask and spray the panels that way?.Anyone got any advice please?.

View attachment 31366View attachment 31367

View attachment 36416

View attachment 36417

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Dave I like how Steve handled the black underside of the 262 build,might be worth a looksee

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/11474-me262b-1au1-trumpeter-1-32-a-6.html

the widow is really coming along nicely

First Name
Dave
Thanks Trey.I will have a look at that link.Havent done much to it over the last couple of weeks as my dad (who is 78) had a fall and broke a hip.So i've spent most of my spare time visiting him and making sure mums alright.I was thinking of having a go at the salt chipping technique but think it might be a step to far.Think i will practise that on an old 109 first.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Dave,I'm sorry to here about your dad,I'm sure everyone would join me in wishing him well.

Salt chipping usually results in a very used looking airframe and can be difficult to keep in scale. I've seen it look great on armour and sci-fi models but rarely on aircraft.

I lighten the panels free hand. I just add a couple of drops of white to my "black" in the paintcup and do some random panels,then add a bit more white and do a few more and so on. I don't think you have to be terribly accurate as you want a fairly random modulation of the overall finish.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Thanks Steve.I will try the free hand method and see how that looks.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Dave. Have a look at what Caledonia (Derek) did with his all black SR 71 last week.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/13120-finished-lockheed-martin-sr-71a-blackbird-1-72-hasegawa.html

Gern

First Name
Dave
Yeh i looked at that when he posted it.Very impressive

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Im with steve ,dave. I used the same freehand lightening on my mossie. I started by giving it a straight black overall,then lightening it a bit and spraying this in the centre of panels,and a bit of allover random muckying with very thin brown. One thing i found was i had to darken certain bits after too e.g. the control surface hinge lines.Its all a bit 'make it up as you go along' so dont worry too much about any sort of set technique,just have a play. its going to look great. cheers tony

S

Spyderman_uk

Not tried this myself, but reading how others have gone about painting black, wouldn't it be better to start off with a relatively light colour on the underside instead of black?

A medium to dark grey to start with and then darkening down bit by bit.

It would certainly make it a bit easier than trying to lighten up black.

And use less paint!

First Name
Dave
Thanks lads.I appreciate all the advice.Will have a play tomorrow and post pics of the good or bad results.