Allen's Nebelwerfer 42 auf Maultier, started in the late? 90's

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Those vision slits aren't even close to the real thing!! How could they be so wrong???

Great work Allen on the corrections.

ATB

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Everyone,

Once again, I damn near forgot about this, but have been trucking on and making progress. Along the way, as usual, I forget to take pics of the progress between naps at the table.....

Thanks Paul, and some of the late versions had a slit cut into them for the side vision ports. cheaper in the long run. Snow gone yet???

Thanks too Paul, and like you, some things tend to bug the heck out of us. You don't want to go crazy, but you know they have to be fixed.....

Thanks and it's hard to say Andrew, but it was probably easier to mold them wrong to make the piece fit properly in the opening on the model. I honestly have never seen a kit that was at least 95% correct. For a kit from 1994, it's really not too shabby though and the fit was good overall. Still a few more tweaks to go....

Oh, an update is included here too!!!.......I decided to go with some more etch pieces than normal as they do make a difference when they are not pinging off after gluing them on. This was the stand as of Saturday,

IMG_2708.JPG

Rear steps in etch and scratchy locking handles on the loading hatch. Rockets only half painted as the rest will be in the barrels (lazy). I tried to sand/grind The barrel ends thinner, but stopped, with the risk of losing the glue points holding them together....Moving on,

IMG_2710.JPG

Chassis masked, motor not glued in, all of the etch bent and CA'd together and ready to rumble on the chassis with the hissy stick. NOT, crap weather and no sunshine put a damper on that. Painted the chassis with a hairy stick. CA'd all the etch on the body, assembled all the road wheel components and affixed the front resin wheels and we ended up here,

IMG_2711.JPG

I need to do a few dabs of paint on the idler wheel caps and the nuts on the road wheel suspension arms. I also have to paint a base color on the vision blocks as they are white plastic. another shot,

IMG_2712.JPG

The front wheels are steerable and add a nice effect. The open driver's vision port adds interest (who am I kidding?) to the scheme. The etch steps and jerry can holders do make a difference though. One more for the Gipper,

IMG_2714.JPG

The body isn't glued on and will be painted with the hissy stick when our weather gets (hopefully) a bit better. I still haven't decided on a scheme, but the base will be dark yellow (Dunkelgelb). I am leaning towards a winter whitewash though with maybe a little snow thrown on her. The figgie I have picked out to use is in winter uniform too. I also haven't decided whether to use the kit tracks or give her a set of Friuls. Too many decisions and not enough beer in the fridge!!!

Thanks for looking in and commenting on this oldie. All C, C and C cheerfully accepted and have a great week folks. Most of all, stay safe...

Prost
Allen (almost Ret.) and may never be..............

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely Allen, keep up the great work.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I think the open vision shot is good, just that hint of detail .You've made a good job of the kit brother.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn, Afternoon, Evening All (choose one),

It's been hell the past few weeks and I haven't had a lot of table time either. Trying to finally get retired has shot my nerves out the window and the Mojo too. I am still working while waiting to get that final paper stating I am fully retired and can sit on my butt and play....

The Maultier is moving along at a snail's pace, but I am making some progress. Thanks Paul and Tim, but the sun hasn't been out since I can't remember when. I have wanted to shoot a coat on the body, it's just too dark. I have a lamp for the booth, but I'm afraid to mess up the paint job if I use it (missing spots or too thickly applied and it runs, etc.). One day....

Andrew, Stevie, PaulE and Dude 2, thanks for the kind words and the votes of confidence on this It's much appreciated and does keep me going. Paul, I almost bought another kit to build and scratch the tubes out of brass to make them thinner, but I drank a beer instead. No major scratchy on this one either......

I finished up the chassis, even though you won't see hardly any of it,

IMG_2733.JPG
Yea, I could have wired the motor and added the radiator hoses and the like. I still haven't made up my mind on which tracks to use either. While waiting for the sun to shine (so I could use the hissy stick), I added a few more bits of etch and worked on the MG 42 mounting,

IMG_2753.JPG

Etch shovel holder and pick-axe holders in place. Shaved off the MG mount as it will be replaced with a Dragon part with MG 42. The cap on the roof will be explained in a few too. The MG stuff ready to be used,

IMG_2754.JPG

The belt is too long and will be trimmed to fit. The swivel mount will be painted on the vehicle and the MG 42 added last with the belt glued on. The cap is part of the vehicle and from the crew member that will be standing on the open hatch in front of the nebelwerfer. I went with a figure out of the MiniArt winter tank crew set #35021. I present to you........................................

IMG_2730.JPG

Lutz, the headless loader and 3rd crewmember of the Maultier. Lutz has to hang out of the hatch as there are only 2 seats inside (driver & commander) and he has no place to sit. He could sit on the floor, but the ride would be very uncomfortable for him and the cold steel is hell on his 'roids. Another shot,

IMG_2731.JPG

He also gives you an idea how low the body was on the vehicle. I hope to paint him this week and add is head and hat to top him off. That's it for now fine folks. Thanks for the support and your patience. All comments good, bad or indifferent appreciated. Take care and stay safe out there...........

Prost
Allen (no idea and still slaving away at work)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work again Allen, keep at it.

ATB

Andrew

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great updates and I’m glad to see you getting some more done on the one.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good. How many days on your short timers' calendar?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks so much Gentlemen!!!....Trying to get the Mojo up and flyin' again..........

Paul, I have a long-timers' calendar out to about the end of 2022 the way this affair is progressing. I've been US retired since 1 July and German retired (on paper) since 1 September. Still got nuthin' in my hand from the German's though and no cash either................

• Sad
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking fine Brother, I feel for old Lutz, having to stand like that, be better on a sledge being towed!
Its good that the mojo is up on this , gives you something to concentrate on , how you manage it is amazing with the problems you are having.
Dude 2

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Mr D… just found this thread..looking good…hope that your nose is no longer running…might make the glue a bit more sticky…
had the same thing happen to me recently..damn coworkers coming to work with a cold to pass it along..bastards

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Late Afternoon Fellow Glue Slingers, Sniffers, Spillers (choose one),

Time for the weekly update as I'm slow and old and still not retired!!!

Thanks Dude 2 and I'm trying not to let the probs get me down. I think if Lutz were towed behind in a sledge, it would be even worse on his 'roids IMHO......

Thanks Joe and I'm feeling fine again. I'm staying away from everyone now, including myself........Hope all is well on your end my friend and you guys are healthy and safe.......

So throwing the personal probs and the lack of sun out the window, I mixed up some Tamiya paint with IPA and got down to it. It's still dark and dreary here, but I turned on the LED lamp and hoped for the best. Here's what we got,

IMG_2764.JPG

Don't mind Lutz the headless loader, he's just holding the body from falling over for the pic. The other side,

IMG_2766.JPG

I have to admit that spraying under lamplight went much better than I thought it would and gave no probs at all. I did almost forget to mount the MG holder and popped it on at the last second. I love Tamiya paints as they spray so nice and flat with no running at all.....After I let it dry for a while, I stripped off the under body masking and did a test fit in the chassis,

IMG_2767.JPG

The paint looks like it's different colors, but that's due to the lighting. You will also notice the chassis is a different shade of Dunkelgelb. It's AK 3rd Gen's late war Dunkelgelb and is darker with a green tint to it. It doesn't matter as late war colors were not uniform in their mixes and I will be mucking this up a bit anyway. Another shot,

IMG_2768.JPG

Towing pintle pin needs some color and I have tried out the kit's tracks to see how they would look. Still not decided about the tracks yet, kit or Friul....The other side,

IMG_2769.JPG

All in all, the hissy stick session went well and she has a coat on her. Am I happy??? With the paint, yes.... With other things, no.......For instance, Hull grab handles are way too fat, I didn't wire any of the lighting, Nebelwerfer looks too toylike and needs firing cables from lead wire as the molded kit ones stink and, and, and........................Ok, I'll stop and keep repeating, "it's fine, it's fine, it's fine", as it is!!!!...................Damn reference books!!!!!....................

Still not sure of the finish scheme, but I think winter will be the one. I won some Archer dry transfers from evilbay yesterday and want to try them here too. Kit decals are a bit old and I'll just use the license plates from them..........

That's it for now and until I get the Archer's, I can play around and finish Lutz the headless loader! Thanks for looking in and please stay safe and healthy.........

Prost
Allen (clueless in Bamberg)

First Name
Andrew
I'm rather slow and have just caught up on this one. It's coming on really well Mr D!
I can see why your crewman lost his head, popping up in front of the projectiles like that!
Andy

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Superb update mate. Nice to see you have a little helper on the bench. If you put a head on him he might be of more use. :smiling5: ;) :cool: :thumb2: