Amazing insect spotted today

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all just had to share this . I was sitting relaxing with a cold beer when I heard a high pitched buzzing behind me , when I looked there was this amazing looking insect hovering in front of my Aubretia looking for all the world like a tiny hummingbird with its long beak . I was gobsmacked and have since found out it is a Dark Edged Bee Fly ( bombylius major ) ,a common ,harmless nectar feeding fly that mimics the look of a bee for protection . Just goes to show that if you stop and look wonder is all around ( isn’t that a song ?!) anyway here’s a pic , I’ll try and get the video on too.

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just figured out how to load a video so , see above :thumb2::thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all just had to share this . I was sitting relaxing with a cold beer when I heard a high pitched buzzing behind me , when I looked there was this amazing looking insect hovering in front of my Aubretia looking for all the world like a tiny hummingbird with its long beak . I was gobsmacked and have since found out it is a Dark Edged Bee Fly ( bombylius major ) ,a common ,harmless nectar feeding fly that mimics the look of a bee for protection . Just goes to show that if you stop and look wonder is all around ( isn’t that a song ?!) anyway here’s a pic , I’ll try and get the video on too.
Very cool!!! Not to mention unusual.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Tony and Ian
You are so right. If you sit still and quiet there are wonders to see. That fly/bee is indeed like a humming bird. My wife and I went to a large garden centre this morning. A robin joined us at our table while we had a coffee and there were bright blue damsel flies (?) hovering over a pond.
Jim

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Talking of damselflies doing what rabbits do…I witnessed a female emerge, rise to the surface, and promptly get mobbed by half a dozen males!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Those Dark Edged Bee Fly ( bombylius major ) also lays its egg in a solitary bee or wasp nests. After hatching, the larvae parasitically feed on the host insects grubs.