American Graffiti 'Mels Drive-in'

First Name
Paul
One of my favorite films is American Graffiti, so when I found this on ebay it would have been silly of me not to have a go at it.
I started it around Christmas and it has taken me quite a while to obtain the cars, vending machine etc..., but now it is more or less finished,
apart from any figures I may come across (1.64scale), a bit of grass, a couple of trees, oh and a phone booth :smiling2:

a by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8375 by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8361a by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8364 by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8361 by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8373 by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8355 by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8352 by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8349 by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

PK2A8373a by mooneyes2009, on Flickr

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very nice Paul, and nice to see something a bit different. Isn't that Beetle out of scale though?
Pete

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
nice

even got Milners coupe......even got the right number plate!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great scene from an iconic film.....I thought the first shot was a still from the film! You need to do a dio of the Pharos ripping out the back axle of the squad car as a follow up....

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great dio. Very much the atmosphere of the time.

John

First Name
Paul
Very nice Paul, and nice to see something a bit different. Isn't that Beetle out of scale though?
Pete
Hi Pete, the Beetle is in perfect scale, the trouble is that most of the American cars at the drive-in ride very low making the VW tall,plus its a convertable.
The car that is a very dubious 1.64 is Curt Hendersons (Richard Dreyuss) Citroen 2CV which is bigger than the rest,so I,m on the lookout for a replacement.

Thankyou for your comments.

First Name
Paul
Great scene from an iconic film.....I thought the first shot was a still from the film! You need to do a dio of the Pharos ripping out the back axle of the squad car as a follow up....
Haha,that has already crossed my mind ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sir that is perfection, hat off to you. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Awesome, you even got the right shade of piss yellow and puke green (to quote the film) on the Ford Coupe. :tears-of-joy:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I haven't seen the film but that's beautiful.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Terrific build and very nice, moody lighting.
Top work!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic film and fantastic dio Paul , the lighting really brings it to life . Loving milners coupe but the one I always liked best was Harrison fords 55 Chevy . Great job , cheers tony

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great film for motor heads. Beautifully executed dio. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
AWRIGHT BaaaaaaaaaaaaBy......Ya better stay COOL or the Wolfman gonna getcha! Fantastic piece of work Paul and I have never grown tired of the movie after all these years. So much of this is out of my teenage years "playbook" it's creepy to think about. You have done a marvelous job of recreating the feel of that drive-in, the only thing missing is the music, the sound of high compression V-8s and the smell of burnt rubber and hi-octane fuel........ Rick H.

First Name
Paul
AWRIGHT BaaaaaaaaaaaaBy......Ya better stay COOL or the Wolfman gonna getcha! Fantastic piece of work Paul and I have never grown tired of the movie after all these years. So much of this is out of my teenage years "playbook" it's creepy to think about. You have done a marvelous job of recreating the feel of that drive-in, the only thing missing is the music, the sound of high compression V-8s and the smell of burnt rubber and hi-octane fuel........ Rick H.
Hi Rick, thankyou for the kind comments. I love the whole hot rod and drag racing culture and really wish I lived in those times. The fact that the movie is based on just one night in California in 62 has always fascinated me. I was born in the wrong country at the wrong time

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I also, but went through a lot of cars. We had a racing team of 5 guys (Noodles Romanoff & His Band of No-goods) who pooled money & labor to run USAC & NHRA cars as well as our daily drivers. Traded my 57 Widowmaker for a 74 Vette I helped a friend build in 91 thinking it safer with more stability & better brakes, but the wife won't ride in it after walking home a couple times while I worked some bugs out of the fuel system. So it sits. PaulE