Andrew's 1/48 Eduard ProfiPACK Yak-3 - ready for inspection

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good afternoon all

So as you may have already seen, I have finished this just in time for Christmas and the GB I am running with Karl.

First up the usual summary of the kit, aftermarket parts, paints and finish:
  • Kit: Eduard 1/48 ProfiPack Yak-3 (8089)
  • Paints: Exterior - AK 3rd Gen. Interior - mostly Vallejo Model Air/Colour.
  • Weathering: Flory Wash Dark Dirt

So as I explained in the build thread, this is the first Eduard kit I have ever built, which of course makes it the first ProfiPACK kit too. A summary of the kit build process goes something like this:
  • The kit itself is a 2011 reboxing of a 1998 tooling and aside from no locator pins (I understand this was a mark of early Eduard kits), it went together much better than newer kits I have done.
  • I did have issues with a few parts going AWOL and so I had to scratch a replacement undercarriage support but it looks pretty good.
  • The PE was a 50/50 mix of pretty straightforward and a pain, if not impossible. As you may of seen the PE IP panel was impossible to fit. I also kept damaging the PE when doing fuselage dry fits. Fortunately though, the curve of the canopy makes it hard to see the worst of the defects.
  • There is a bit of silvering with decals but you have to catch the light just right to see the worst of it. Not sure if that was me or the fact they were 12 years old.
  • The undercarriage location points were a bit vague and if you look carefully from certain angles, I think it is slightly off on one side.

In summary though, I'm pretty pleased with it and it was another good learning experience. After all it is only the second 1/48 wingy thing I have done after my Raiden.

And speaking of the Raiden, I was curious what the size difference was......as I suspected it confirmed that the Yak-3 was quite a bit smaller and that the Raiden really is a 'chubster'*** of a plane.

RaidenYak-3
Length9.945 m (32 ft 8 in)8.5 m (27 ft 11 in)
Wingspan10.8 m (35 ft 5 in)9.2 m (30 ft 2 in)
Height3.81 m (12 ft 6 in)2.42 m (7 ft 9 in)
Empty Weight2,839 kg (6,259 lb)2,105 kg (4,641 lb)

Anyway enough waffle below are some pics....apologies but a couple are bit dark. This time of year it was clearly a bit too early to be taking pictures outdoors to get the best of the natural light!

ACW as usual.

Andrew

*** Chubster = Impolite English colloquialism meaning fat...after all the Raiden really is a very rotund plane.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Yak

A very dark shot for some reason....sorry.

A comparison with the Raiden.....

As you can see it just fits under the Raiden wingtip at its' lowest point....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic result andrew , great build . The side by side highlights just how fat the Raiden is , the fuselage is twice as wide as the Yak !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very well built and painted. Well done Andrew.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well it has to be
View attachment 498254
Andrew, beautifully made and painted.

Congratulations.
I can only agree: beautifully built and painted.
One sweet build Andrew
Very nice indeed
That's come out great Andrew. Very nice!
Fantastic result.
Fantastic result andrew , great build . The side by side highlights just how fat the Raiden is , the fuselage is twice as wide as the Yak !
That's a great looking model
Excellent result right there Andrew, well done mate.
Very well built and painted. Well done Andrew.
Excellent stuff indeed,love it :thumb2: :cool:.
Cracking work Andrew!
Smashing job Andrew :smiling4:

Geoff.
Well Andrew, you've got to be happy with that. Looks great.

Morning gents!

Firstly, I hope you all had a good Christmas day and Father Christmas got you wanted (Waspie - excepted).

Secondly, thank you all for the very generous comments. Coming from such a talented bunch as yourselves it it is very much appreciated!!

@John Race - Yet again I am truly humbled!! Please pass my thanks onto the committee. I am truly honoured! I hope that the fact that the committee spokesman i.e. your good self, happens to be a complete Soviet WWII nut is purely coincidence!?!? ;) :smiling5:

@yak face - Tony, given that you're a confirmed Soviet Wingy nut and have 'Yak' in your user name, I will take that as a real compliment. The Raiden really is fat isn't it? It had a radial engine which of of course often leads towards a chunkier look than an in-line engine - P-47 vs P-51 being an obvious example. However, I seem to recall reading when doing my research that the Raiden's engine had a particularly large diameter even for a radial engine.

Thanks again chaps, your support is most appreciated.

Yours

Andrew

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning gents!

Firstly, I hope you all had a good Christmas day and Father Christmas got you wanted (Waspie - excepted).

Secondly, thank you all for the very generous comments. Coming from such a talented bunch as yourselves it it is very much appreciated!!

@John Race - Yet again I am truly humbled!! Please pass my thanks onto the committee. I am truly honoured! I hope that the fact that the committee spokesman i.e. your good self, happens to be a complete Soviet WWII nut is purely coincidence!?!? ;) :smiling5:

@yak face - Tony, given that you're a confirmed Soviet Wingy nut and have 'Yak' in your user name, I will take that as a real compliment. The Raiden really is fat isn't it? It had a radial engine which of of course often leads towards a chunkier look than an in-line engine - P-47 vs P-51 being an obvious example. However, I seem to recall reading when doing my research that the Raiden's engine had a particularly large diameter even for a radial engine.

Thanks again chaps, your support is most appreciated.

Yours

Andrew
Had never entered my thoughts Andrew ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful result Andrew, and a very interesting comparison between the Yak and the Raiden.