Andrew's 1/72 Amourfast Panther G

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good morning all

So as you may have seen, after 8 years and 3 months I have finally finished this little kitty. I was inspired to get this across the line having recently finished my Jagdpanthers.

This was indirectly linked to a dual build I was doing with another member on another forum at the time. The idea was to take one of these super simplified wargaming kits - £7.50 for two kits, a whole tank on each sprue and with only 20 pieces per tank - and 'tart' them up.

To this aim I did the following:
  • Drilled out the solid one piece suspension.
  • Added a range of handles using nylon broom bristles.....a very underrated modelling medium IMHO.
  • Created the impression of zimmerit using 'No More Nails' glue and a 32 TPI junior hacksaw blade to create the effect.
  • Using print screen mesh for the engine deck covers.
  • Scratched all of the gun rest, brackets and almost all the tools using styrene.
  • Changed the design on one of the rear stowage bins from a cross to straight lines, as per the reference photo.
  • Scratched square exhaust mounting 'blocks' (don't know the correct name)....the kit came with round ones but again the reference photo showed square.
  • Added my own tow cable.....slightly too thick a gauge in hindsight but it was the best I had at the time.
  • Added some stowage....both bought and DIY.

The tracks are though far too rusty. However, at the time I did them I was playing with Life Colors rust and dust set and so, as this is not a 'display' piece, I used this and a whole range of other kits to experiment with.

As I said on the build overview, this won't set the modelling world alight but just remember that when I started this I was a far less experienced modeller than I am now.......it has been eight years after all
???

.....and most importantly it started life a quick build wargaming kit with no detail to speak of, which only cost £3.75 new!!
:D

A summarised build thread can be found here: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/andrews-1-72-armourfast-panther-g-paint-and-decals.34992/

ACW as usual.

Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The initial sprue shot as reminder of how it started:

The finished article:

And the obligatory scale shot!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
after 8 years and 3 months
Well now I don’t feel so bad about my unfinished builds. Nice out come on such a simplified kit awesome job on the Zimmerit too Andrew. I have some of these kits made by Italeri and they are very detailed and you can real make them look good with some add on details like you did. Again great build.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Superb stuff - you definitely improved the base kit!
Looks good to me.
Well now I don’t feel so bad about my unfinished builds. Nice out come on such a simplified kit awesome job on the Zimmerit too Andrew. I have some of these kits made by Italeri and they are very detailed and you can real make them look good with some add on details like you did. Again great build.

Thanks chaps...gad you like them. I'm wondering how they would have turned out if I was to do the same thing now, now that I am a much better modeller. But we'll never know....done it once, not doing it again!

Lee - I have the Italeri ones in the stash. Picked them up last November during my mega spending spree. As you say not bad for what they are, and that is wargaming kits!

Thanks again!

Andrew