Andrew's visit to IWM Duxford December 2021

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So better late than never, below are a selection of photos from my birthday visit to Duxford last December. The album has been ready for a while but I've not got round to sharing until now for some reason.

As is usual I took more photos than I can show here, so you'll find the full album here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/139640818@N02/2A72Q4.

Below is a very random selection - only 10% of what's in the album

All the best.

Andrew

-----------------------------------

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
WOW Andy!!!!got any more? Talk about "eye" candy........that is some Museum! Great pics. Sir and thanks a bunch for posting them up. Rick H. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
WOW Andy!!!!got any more? Talk about "eye" candy........that is some Museum! Great pics. Sir and thanks a bunch for posting them up. Rick H. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

Thanks Rick...... the full album link is at the start of my post.

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for sharing these pictures Andrew. It must be at least 15 years since I last visited Duxford. I think it's time I paid another visit.

Nick
Nick

You're welcome and definitely worth another visit I'd say.....that said I had about 40 years between visits!!

ATB

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Brilliant museum, the only downside is the poor lighting in the Land Warfare Hall. I mentioned that to one of the staff, who said it's to avoid the exhibits deteriorating, but come on, they're tanks and artillery, hardly delicate things are they!
Pete

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant museum, the only downside is the poor lighting in the Land Warfare Hall. I mentioned that to one of the staff, who said it's to avoid the exhibits deteriorating, but come on, they're tanks and artillery, hardly delicate things are they!
Pete
Indeed.....it made taking the photos a bit of a pain. A real shame given that have stuff I've personally not seen elsewhere.

ATB

Andrew

First Name
Andy
Great pictures Andrew someone will be glad of them for referrence I am sure, that bomb tractor would make a nice model.

Andy.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great pictures Andrew someone will be glad of them for referrence I am sure, that bomb tractor would make a nice model.

Andy.
Andy

You're welcome and I thought the same about the tractor.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pete
I suspect that will be done to preserve the original paint colours Pete. It’s the same reason that a lot of galleries and museums don’t allow flash photography. Mind you, if they keep it dull, but still allow flash photography, then they are probably just saving on lighting costs ;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
And another big thank you Andrew!!! Great pics and looks to be a really nice museum. Is it just me, or does hanging airplanes from the ceiling in the hall, look dangerous??? Yeah, we all did it with our models as kids but, I can see the obit in the newspaper...."Joe Snuffy died as a result of a P-51 Mustang falling on his head while visiting the Duxford Museum"................................Poor Chap...........................

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I suspect that will be done to preserve the original paint colours Pete. It’s the same reason that a lot of galleries and museums don’t allow flash photography. Mind you, if they keep it dull, but still allow flash photography, then they are probably just saving on lighting costs ;)
They don't seem to be worried about about the paint fading on the aircraft or the vehicles in the aircraft hangars though.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They don't seem to be worried about about the paint fading on the aircraft or the vehicles in the aircraft hangars though.
Pete
Probably cost saving then. The staff have obviously been told to reply to the lighting questions that way LOL…..

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete
Fully agree Peter, it was hard to take a decent photo in there, esp after the aircraft displays. I asked the same question, answer to give a " more atmospheric look" . All it did was stop me from taking loads of photos.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It is a great museum. Around the outside of the USAAF building is a fence showing the amount of losses by aircraft type crews. It is a staggering number.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
And another big thank you Andrew!!! Great pics and looks to be a really nice museum. Is it just me, or does hanging airplanes from the ceiling in the hall, look dangerous??? Yeah, we all did it with our models as kids but, I can see the obit in the newspaper...."Joe Snuffy died as a result of a P-51 Mustang falling on his head while visiting the Duxford Museum"................................Poor Chap...........................

Prost
Allen
Allen

You're more than welcome......and as for the aircraft hanging down from the ceiling I had a similar thought. I would be interesting to know how much load the roof can take and even more interesting to watch them get them up and down!

Thanks again!

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Fully agree Peter, it was hard to take a decent photo in there, esp after the aircraft displays. I asked the same question, answer to give a " more atmospheric look" . All it did was stop me from taking loads of photos.
Pete
Whatever the reason for the low light level it is a shame, It even pushed our decent if slightly aged Digital SLR to limit and I had to cull a number of photos from the final album because they were a bit blurry.....a real shame!

Thanks again for your support chaps!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It is a great museum. Around the outside of the USAAF building is a fence showing the amount of losses by aircraft type crews. It is a staggering number.

Some how missed that....a real shame. Although it was nice and sunny, there was a very strong breeze and so in early December it was pretty cold, so perhaps we more focused on getting out of the wind. Thanks for stopping by Scottie.

ATB

Andrew

First Name
Jean-Marc
Hi all

So better late than never, below are a selection of photos from my birthday visit to Duxford last December. The album has been ready for a while but I've not got round to sharing until now for some reason.

As is usual I took more photos than I can show here, so you'll find the full album here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/139640818@N02/2A72Q4.

Below is a very random selection - only 10% of what's in the album

All the best.

Andrew

-----------------------------------

NNNNNNNNNNNice... thank you for the pics, it's quite appreciated