Andy`s "Quick fix" of a Mustang

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,in true Smiffy style i`m starting my entry in a GB just as everyone else is about to finish!!:tears-of-joy:
Heretic alert:flushed:..... it`s FAR from a fully detailed,totally accurate kit.....but then again,it is me!!:tongue-out3:Anyway,this is the kit.....
IMG_20221009_105940.jpg

This is my type of Wingy build,few bits for sure.........
IMG20221008141708.jpg
IMG_20221009_110025.jpg
IMG_20221009_110004.jpg
The figures are an addition as there is no pilot in the kit.......here is the massive tome that are the instructions.........
IMG20221008140354.jpg
IMG20221008140409.jpg
.... and a rather nice colour chart,(I`m going for the US version here)......
IMG20221008140230.jpg
So there you go,i made a start last night,and,unsurprisingly,progress was quite rapid!!:nerd:
..... more of that later today,
Thanks for looking in,
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Andy, that intro made me smile. It may not be totally accurate or brim full of detail but it will build up into a fair representation of a Mustang, very colourful as well.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don't feel bad Mr. Smiff...........just got started myself, so we can finish up together. After all, someone has to finish in last place and at the rate I'm going, I may not make the "deadline"! ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well Andy, that intro made me smile. It may not be totally accurate or brim full of detail but it will build up into a fair representation of a Mustang, very colourful as well.
Hi Jim,yep,i think you`re right,hopefully it`ll pass muster :thumb2:
It looks like a Mustang, that's near enough for me!

Andy, those decals should keep you happy to the end of this G.B.- And into the New Year.:dizzy:
Me too Ron...... Indeed,and there are some TINY ones too:dizzy:
Looks like a mustang, smells like a mustang, maybe it is a mustang....
Admit it, you're not doing the SA version as you don't want to mask that spinner.....
Karl,It MIGHT turn out like a Mustang:flushed:..... I actually quite liked the idea of the "Springbok" decal...... but was over ruled by Rach as she loves the "Shark Teeth" version!!:tears-of-joy:
More decals than plastic.

Should make a good model. Enjoy
There certainly are Mike!!...... can`t see all of em making it as far as the model though!!:anguished:
Don't feel bad Mr. Smiff...........just got started myself, so we can finish up together. After all, someone has to finish in last place and at the rate I'm going, I may not make the "deadline"! ;)
Cheers Rick....... looks like we`ll be Brothers in Arms on this one,(Or should that be "Brothers in Wings?!!;):tears-of-joy:)!
Andy don’t sweat it I haven’t even got my sprue shots yet hopefully next week. Nice looking stuff you have line up. I’ll be watching
Hi Lee,it appears that there are a few of us "Tail End Charlies" ...... which makes me feel more comfortable!!;):tears-of-joy:

All....... I`ve made some progress,pics of which are soon to follow........

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
....... Cont`d........
So then,it hasn`t taken long to put together the majority of Sub Assemblies......
IMG20221009183004.jpg
I think you can guess what that is!!.......and here`s pretty much all of the rest!!:tears-of-joy:.......
IMG20221009182855.jpg
Only thing of note so far was to sand away the raised details on the Control Consul ready for the main decal......
IMG20221008170429.jpg
.... and here it is with the decal and ready to put onto the cockpit assembly,once i`ve added the smaller decals for the other "Controls".........,in closer detail,
IMG20221008182037.jpg
Will do the pilot and some detail painting to improve,(Hopefully!!),the cockpit next...... won`t be that long until the two halves of the fuselage can go together:astonished:..... These kits,really are ALL about the painting IMHO,so we`ll see how it turns out:thumb2:,
As always,thanks for looking in,and all hints,tips,or plain old abuse,very welcomed!!
Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Strewth andy ! Only just seen this and you're halfway through already ! Nothing at all wrong with a simple kit , im about to start one myself. Great progress so far , should look excellent when its done. Was kind of hoping youd go for the south african version though , something rarely seen . Keep up the great work , cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Another model of an aircraft Andy. Well, that is interesting. Most interesting. ;)

Well Colin, sometimes puberty lasts longer in Devonites than in normal folks or so I have read...

Nice work Mr. Smiff and the detail isn't too bad either. I wish they made a few of these quick kits in 1/32 scale and they were not expensive. I'd buy one to use as a testbed to improve my hissy stick skills. After all, you can't waste a good vehicle kit for a testbed now can you...............

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cockpit looks good. Speedy progress too.
.Thank you Jim,yes,it is quick.... but that's the kit, not me!! :smiling3:
Keep it up Smiffy...........you've almost caught up to me. :thumb2:
Doubtful that I'll catch you up Rick... But you never know!! ;)
Seat please in the OAP area, with coffee or tea .
I'll look after Cohan if you want.
Seat duly reserved John, Cohan's a simple geezer .. just a bit of veg,and the odd Locust suits him fine ;)
Strewth andy ! Only just seen this and you're halfway through already ! Nothing at all wrong with a simple kit , im about to start one myself. Great progress so far , should look excellent when its done. Was kind of hoping youd go for the south african version though , something rarely seen . Keep up the great work , cheers tony
I agree Tony,the Springbok was my choice,but Rach over ruled me :sad: ...
... It's surely a simple kit,but I reckon it should look ok if I can wrangle it!!
Another model of an aircraft Andy. Well, that is interesting. Most interesting. ;)
Evenin' Colin.... Yes indeed,this is my 3rd Wingy thing this year!! .... And that's after not doing one since about 1975!! :smiling3:
Well Colin, sometimes puberty lasts longer in Devonites than in normal folks or so I have read...

Nice work Mr. Smiff and the detail isn't too bad either. I wish they made a few of these quick kits in 1/32 scale and they were not expensive. I'd buy one to use as a testbed to improve my hissy stick skills. After all, you can't waste a good vehicle kit for a testbed now can you...............

Prost
Allen
Cheers Alan!! Yes,they didn't do any in 1/32... But 1/48 ain't too small mate....and these in particular are rather reasonably priced ;)
I'm not sure how much longer this 'closet' aircraft builder thinks he can pull the wool over our eyes.
Colin,Colin,Colin.....
No wool about the place ... I just don't do planes.....
...... USUALLY !! ;)

So then Chaps... Some progress has occurred.... Coming up soon......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... Cont'd....
Well then,I've done some work on sub assemblies and a VERY small start on the pilot......
IMG20221016211534.jpg
.. and one of the landing gear's home
IMG20221016211253.jpg
All very tentative,but well on the way....here is my take on the dashboard.....
IMG20221016162040.jpg
You can see why Karl's pre painted etch was a great idea,compared to my futile painting effort eh?!! :smiling3:...
IMG20221016185302.jpg
All closed up,ish,and under some duress.....
IMG20221016183857.jpg
IMG20221016183816.jpg
So we're well on the way now....
Nearly time to shove the wings on,add the other bits,and... Get Mr.Pilot painted up,(my favourite bit if I'm honest :smiling3: )
Next update in a day or so.... Thanks for looking in Chaps,cheers for now,
Andy

Attachments

• IMG20221016180451.jpg
    IMG20221016180451.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work Andy. IP looks good to me, as does the rest of the office.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very good Andy , love the sizes of clamps you have !