Andy T's Arma Hobby 1/48 Mk llc Trop

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
I'm always in awe of your painting skills.
Thanks very much Paul!

Compared to some I'm still decidedly average, but since it's the part I concentrate on, I'm glad it gets noticed.

Lovely detail Andy. Looking good.

This one had stalled a little while I waited for the belts & cockpit decals to arrive, but now that they are finally here I can get back to it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Compared to some I'm still decidedly average
Modest as well. Your paint work is right up there dude. What ever you paint (well show on here) has a silky smooth finish and perfect de-markation.
I hope one day I can paint as well as you.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A bit more progress. I've gone for the Eduard Space 3d decals on this, and whilst they look okay I much prefer the Quinta ones I've used in the past.

The IP was slightly too small, whereas the other parts were slightly oversized and needed a bit of trimming. There were also some parts that were questionable as to whether they added anything to the kit. Arma Hobby have put so much detail into this that aftermarket doesn't offer much extra, except for the belts of course which I made a bit of a mess of while gluing them in place. :rolling:

I was amazed at how well the kit pieces fitted together. The instructions were a little unclear in some areas but the parts almost knew where they needed to go and fell into place. I'd say they could easily give Tamiya a run for there money on fit & engineering, but with more fine detail.

Anyway, enough Jaipur infused rambling, onto the pics:

1000007481.jpg

1000007482.jpg

1000007483.jpg

Then very quickly it started to look like a Hurricane! Sorry to drone on but the fit was amazing. There are so many tiny alignment pegs & tabs that one would have to be seriously ham-fisted to get it wrong.

I've put a thin smear of sprue goo over the joints as security but it was probably unnecessary:

1000007484.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good andy , nice to hear the fit is good too , the arma 1/72 mk1 I’m doing needs a fair bit of dry fitting and fettling , Although to be fair I think it was one of their earliest toolings ,and by all accounts the mkII hurricane is much improved . Cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tony, certainly no complaints with the fit on this so they must be making progress in that area.

Everything is now in primer, except for the prop which will get its yellow tips first:

1000007493.jpg

It's a bit easier to see the surface detail now:

1000007492.jpg

Technically the version I'm making should have the inner cannons removed and the holes filled, but why would you have two when you can have four? :tears-of-joy:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tony, certainly no complaints with the fit on this so they must be making progress in that area.

Everything is now in primer, except for the prop which will get its yellow tips first:

View attachment 506993

It's a bit easier to see the surface detail now:

View attachment 506994

Technically the version I'm making should have the inner cannons removed and the holes filled, but why would you have two when you can have four? :tears-of-joy:
Looking great there Andy :thumb2:
The detail in the wings looks superb,a bit like my Hobby Boss kit,I agree about the cannons.... Can't have too many big guns!!:cool:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Good to have you all along for the ride.

Since I'm stuck waiting for paint I've moved forward and have started building assemblies for later in the build, and I'm loving the attention to detail.

Here are most of the cockpit parts:

View attachment 506007

And I'm not even sure what this item is that fits on the leading edge of the starboard wing, but they include two, almost identical parts, depending on the version built. I'd be surprised if anyone really noticed the difference once built, but they must think it's important:

View attachment 506008

View attachment 506009
Gun camera, was fitted to some Hurri's. (Part 66/67)

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just caught up on your build, and agree the surface texture is really good from your pics.
Just dug out my Airfix one to compare and the upper wing rivetting in totally missing, so I think Airfix missed out there on achieving the full deal....
Looking forward to more of your build.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks all. I worked late tonight so may not see any bench time. Can't wait to get cracking on the camouflage!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, I've had an absolute nightmare with the topside :tears-of-joy:

Without reliving all the gory details I suffered again from the masking putty slumping, meaning I pretty much had to freehand it all again, which inevitably buried the hours of pre-shading work I'd put in, and I've lost the sharp edges I was aiming for.

C'est la vie. I've made the best of it, and whilst it's not as good as it was going to be, I'm happy.

1000007587.jpg

1000007588.jpg

I've only broken one cannon off so far, I'm doing well!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
buried the hours of pre-shading work
This is why I don’t pre-shade and just paint the whole Aircraft one dark color like flat black seems it works better for me as the dark color bleeds through the main color just like all those lines of hours of Pre-shading. Looking good through.