Andy T's Bandai 1/48 AT-ST

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Happy Star Wars day!

Thanks to Andy for organising this GB, here's my entry:

1000007673.jpg

Quite a bit of very crisply moulded plastic in the box, and a choice of stickers or decals for the markings:

1000007674.jpg

An example of the surface detail. Unfortunately most of this will be completely hidden once closed up:

1000007676.jpg

I've also got some Ewok & Stormtrooper figures as I'm hoping to make a diorama base:

1000007677.jpg

I made a start this morning, ignoring the suggested build sequence and clipping off all of the cockpit related parts:

1000007678.jpg

I did a test fit to see what would be visible and need painting. Note the strange forearms on the figures, I'll get back to that:

1000007679.jpg

1000007680.jpg

Because this is a snap together kit, disassembly after a dry fit was tricky. A couple of spudgers helped a lot:

1000007685.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So onto those figures. I tried to shape the forearms a bit better and give them more natural poses, at least reaching the controls!

Before & after:

1000007686.jpg

After a bit more work and a quick zenithal prime:

1000007687.jpg

Not perfect, but a big improvement I think.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great to see you've made a start Andy,(and you've saved me having to do sprue pics, because,as you know, I'm doing the exact same kit :tears-of-joy:).
Nice work on the figures,much improved.The little Ewoks and Troopers are a nice addition, they'll add to make a great little scene....carry on the great work:thumb2:.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I DO like all the interior detail they've got in there

I would have said the arms are odd because they'll be barely visible through the vision slits, but with the top hatch open they're right there!

And is that a Chewie figure included? Noice!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks gents, and welcome aboard.

I just couldn't leave the crew alone, they looked weird.

There's a slot behind them to locate the standing Chewie, but I filled that as he'll be going elsewhere :smiling3:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
There's a slot behind them to locate the standing Chewie, but I filled that as he'll be going elsewhere :smiling3:
If that's the case, shouldn't Chewie be pulling the crew out of their seats? Or are there two seated ewoks to drive it? Which, of course, meant Chewie had to have his head out of the hatch as the ewoks couldn't have seen out to drive...

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Started reading this and thought you were going so fast you were going to finish it in a day LOL…..great start though…..and those arms had to go….
Wasn't that the idea - done & dusted on Star Wars day? :thinking:
:tears-of-joy:

If that's the case, shouldn't Chewie be pulling the crew out of their seats? Or are there two seated ewoks to drive it? Which, of course, meant Chewie had to have his head out of the hatch as the ewoks couldn't have seen out to drive...
Nope, no ewoks in the kit.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Crew have had a splash of paint. I may pick a different colour for the chin straps as they look more like blonde beards :smiling5:

1000007691.jpg

I've also painted the base colours on the interior using the Mr Color german grey modulation set, concentrating on the 3 lightest shades. As always my lighting has blown out the variation quite a lot but I like it in real life so will probably do something very similar with the outside further down the line:

1000007690.jpg

Plenty of detail painting to get my teeth into!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Crew have had a splash of paint. I may pick a different colour for the chin straps as they look more like blonde beards :smiling5:

View attachment 507941

I've also painted the base colours on the interior using the Mr Color german grey modulation set, concentrating on the 3 lightest shades. As always my lighting has blown out the variation quite a lot but I like it in real life so will probably do something very similar with the outside further down the line:

View attachment 507942

Plenty of detail painting to get my teeth into!
Looking good so far Andy…..nice to see a crew in there as well. Gives it scale :thumb2:
If you want those chin straps to stand out a bit try outlining them in black. Should make them pop nicely. Don’t try to paint around them though. Paint the whole thing black, then paint the yellow leaving a bit of a border. It’s what I do on the little blokes to give them a bit more definition….l

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
That's weird. I always perceived the crew as wearing grey, and the action figures look that. But there is, indeed, a still shot showing them in exactly your colours.

So, now I need to dig out my copy of Jedi for all the many MANY knobs and switches inside!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good so far Andy…..nice to see a crew in there as well. Gives it scale :thumb2:
If you want those chin straps to stand out a bit try outlining them in black. Should make them pop nicely. Don’t try to paint around them though. Paint the whole thing black, then paint the yellow leaving a bit of a border. It’s what I do on the little blokes to give them a bit more definition….l
That sounds way above my brush skills :tears-of-joy:

That's weird. I always perceived the crew as wearing grey, and the action figures look that. But there is, indeed, a still shot showing them in exactly your colours.

So, now I need to dig out my copy of Jedi for all the many MANY knobs and switches inside!
If you are looking for studio accuracy, you're watching the wrong build.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
If you are looking for studio accuracy, you're watching the wrong build.
I'm watching the RIGHT build. Just not necessarily in the right order...

Oh, believe me, when someone says about ANY Star Wars model 'but that's not correct' , the best answer, from my late friend the professional model-maker, was 'which one in which film in which sequence are you looking at?"

Still, I do marvel at the sharp and snappy togetherness of these kits, and how well this is coming along
BTW are the legs 'poseable'?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
BTW are the legs 'poseable'?
It looks that way, but they also include some parts to lock the joints in a set position, "when displaying the model for a long period of time"

Personally I'll be finding a pose I like and running a bit of cement in.

Andy very nice start the figures look a whole lot better. I will follow along if I may.
Thanks Paul, great to have you along.