Andy's 1/35 Meng K-4386 Typhoon, for Simon

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andrew.

Something was bound to go wrong, it always does lol, but thankfully nothing major this time. I'm back at work for a few days from tomorrow too, so I'd have made minimal progress anyway :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

So this is how it looked after I'd applied the satin varnish :sad:

U37htJC.jpg

hpw7G3E.jpg

After a few days to harden up I sanded the worst of the gritty sections and have given it a coat of AK matt varnish. Much better I think!

U4jvJKT.jpg

lQA7OZG.jpg

I'll leave that to dry a while then can hopefully get cracking again.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Excellent work. Glad the preshade worked so well. I tend to obliterate 2 out of 3 :rolling:
Camo is really nice. Worth all the time and effort masking up.
Varnish is funny stuff and because it is applied after the building and painting when it goes wrong it is even more frustrating.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Glad you managed to sort it.....looks loads better now.
I gave up with Acrylic varnish and went the lacquer based stuff. Currently using Tamiya gloss and semi gloss with nice results.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
The repair to the paint looks good you wouldn't know you had had a problem.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone. I did think I'd ruined it at first but thankfully not!

Si, I've been using Mr Color lacquer varnishes but trying to move to something a bit "healthier" for intermediate stages like sealing in the decals etc. I've found Alclad Aquagloss to be perfect, but obviously it's too slick for oils so thought I'd try the AK stuff.

I've reached my usual stage where I'm just staring at it wondering what to do next! I'm really hoping that will become easier with experience, and once I've settled into a routine or "system". Wasted almost a full day just looking at the thing :smiling5:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Also use the Mr Colour GX Uv cut stuff, but as you say it don’t ‘arf pong!!
Tamiya is a little less smelly but I know what you mean about ‘healthier’ options!

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steven.

For anyone that's interested, I ended up thinning the AK varnish around 50/50 with their thinner and water. 2:1:1 Varnish : thinner : water. I could have used all thinner, but water is cheaper!

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice interior and exterior work Andy, love how the splinter camo has come out definitely been worth the effort :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks Rick!

I've added the rest of the bits & bobs so this is pretty much finished. I'd hoped to do much more with the weathering but I've run out of talent & imagination so will leave it there.

I'm not happy with how the LED rear lights look, so may (try to) paint them in more conventional colours, and I notice a door mirror needs fixing already.

KkqsawA.jpg

oiRw9GX.jpg

JD9utCq.jpg

Thanks to everyone that has followed along, Lee for organising this GB in the first place, and of course Simon, who's past help & advice have been invaluable. Rest in peace Mr T.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That is very nice. Quite a bruiser of a vehicle. The paint job is excellent.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy to produce work of that high standard as on that camo and paint job and them conquer a problem with varnish and end up with it looking as Paul says " The repair to the paint looks good you wouldn't know you had had a problem. " is something that Simon would have applauded. Perfection mate, well done, believe in yourself.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You did yourself Proud there Andy.........she's a beauty. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That is a cracker Andy. No lack of talent that I can see.....