Annealing PE?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Now i know what annealing is ( not that thick, honest) but how hot and for how long??

I have a lighter but not sure?

Sorry if it seams a bit of a silly question

Ta bob

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
For Brass I wouldn't go to Red hot to anneal.......could cause sagging or deformation......for something this thin just the color change to dull red or even less is sufficient with a quick quench. Been annealing brass cartridge cases for years......Rick H.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
For Brass I wouldn't go to Red hot to anneal.......could cause sagging or deformation......for something this thin just the color change to dull red or even less is sufficient with a quick quench. Been annealing brass cartridge cases for years......Rick H.
Many thanks Rick, very much appreciated

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If you don't have a ciggy lighter ( I ditched mine when I stopped smoking 20 years ago! ) I didn't - I bought some of these
gaslighters.jpg
Made for lighting gas burners - you can get them at really cheap prices & are a lot more comfortable than a ciggy lighter!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Be careful that very thin parts don't overheat Bob. If you have an old PE fret you could put the part of the fret you want to anneal on top of a wide part of the old fret and heat that with your lighter.
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If you don't have a ciggy lighter ( I ditched mine when I stopped smoking 20 years ago! ) I didn't - I bought some of these
View attachment 420149
Made for lighting gas burners - you can get them at really cheap prices & are a lot more comfortable than a ciggy lighter!
Dave
Thanks Dave, got a ciggy lighter, never smoked lol
Be careful that very thin parts don't overheat Bob. If you have an old PE fret you could put the part of the fret you want to anneal on top of a wide part of the old fret and heat that with your lighter.
Pete
Thats a good idea Pete!!
JR invites Bob around for his latest PE annealing session

View attachment 420155
Cracking, not yet hot enough!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Might seem obvious bob but make sure you hold the pe with pliers , it conducts heat VERY fast !

D

Deleted member 5496

Silly question.

Why do you anneal what difference does it make.

I have been using PE for 20 years. Should I change procedures ?

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Silly question.

Why do you anneal what difference does it make.

I have been using PE for 20 years. Should I change procedures ?

Laurie
It makes it more flexible laurie - easier to fold box shapes and drape seat belts better . Done before painting so obviously not recommended for the pre painted PE frets ( eduard Zoom etc )

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It can also make some grades of brass too soft to work properly so It’s best to trial it first on scrap etch. I honestly think it’s only really of use on things like seat belts. If the brass is too soft it can make things worse rather than better....
Anything that has a regular shape or constant curve should be bent around formers. If you are likely to use a lot of etch brass in your modelling, the best investment you can probably make is a pair of high quality box jointed flat jawed pliers. Almost all of the small bends you need to make can be quickly and easily formed with them.

D

Deleted member 5496

It makes it more flexible laurie - easier to fold box shapes and drape seat belts better . Done before painting so obviously not recommended for the pre painted PE frets ( eduard Zoom etc )
Thanks Tony. next Question why in 20 years has this been a secret. :tongue-out3:

It can also make some grades of brass too soft to work properly so It’s best to trial it first on scrap etch. I honestly think it’s only really of use on things like seat belts. If the brass is too soft it can make things worse rather than better....
Anything that has a regular shape or constant curve should be bent around formers. If you are likely to use a lot of etch brass in your modelling, the best investment you can probably make is a pair of high quality box jointed flat jawed pliers. Almost all of the small bends you need to make can be quickly and easily formed with them.
Just shows how we are all different Tim. My pliers are all in a box. I use a Hold & Fold Small Shop the large mode. Expensive (tried cheap first) but sturdy & so many facilities.

Plus being vintage I find it easier to position with two (vintage) hands loose. Horses for Courses or let your friends direct your movies . :cool:

Laurie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The reason why i asked is the PE seams stiff and the chap i watched on YT mentioned this so used a candle??