Another Alclad question.

S

sharowjohn

Having just sprayed the fabric covered sections of my current fusalage (Vaught Vinicator) with Alclad semi matt aluminium,I am ready to move on to the panels. My dilema is do I just mask straight over the already sprayed sections or will this result in disaster when removing the tape,or would a coat of Clear be advisable. The next ccoat will be Alclad duralamin and I am using Tamiya masking tape.Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Sharowjohn.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
John I've masked Alclad with Tamiya tape. I usually de-tack the tape a bit first. I've only had problems on one occasion doing this. There are a lot of variables,obviously in the plastic or the primer used,so you can never be 100% sure I'm afraid. I find that Alclad sticks pretty well to my Halfords plastic primer.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

Imasked fork legs before and had no problem with the alclad chrome lifting, however i found it did very slightly dull the shine which buffing didn't restore, it wasn't excessive though and only really noticeable if you're as picky as me.

(this one in particular as I was building a bike model for a friend of his first bike)

S

sharowjohn

Thanks lads.

Thanks for the help, changeover from one Alclad tone to another flawless,a few palpitations whilst peeling back the tape but all went well. Then masked up for the upper wing which as you may know is chrome yellow to orange yellow on all american aircraft 1930-42 this colour scheme is what first attracted me, I know shinny maggpie etc.and that is when the poo hit the fan. The best colour match I could find was Testors chrome yellow, have never sprayed said paint before sprayed @ 20 psi to low man am now busy with the wet & dry, pictures to follow including the mistake.

Cheers sharowjohhn.:fool:

S

sharowjohn

Dont ask me how I just did that obviously still got gremlins in the works.

sharowjohn.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bummer! The Metal finish looks good though-

Ian M