Another pirate, c. 1700, 1/12th

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks nice. Smaller than I imagined. I enjoyed your other pirates and I'm sure you'll do just as fine a job on this.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Black primer, then white ink for what I believe can be called a 'value sketch' - a zenithal prime with a rough render of the main tonal values. I think.
20221122_134513.jpg
@adt70hk I used the Mac valve doing this - helpful, helpful. I'm now tempted to block in some of the main colours by airbrush, again using that valve.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Black primer, then white ink for what I believe can be called a 'value sketch' - a zenithal prime with a rough render of the main tonal values. I think.
View attachment 467605
@adt70hk I used the Mac valve doing this - helpful, helpful. I'm now tempted to block in some of the main colours by airbrush, again using that valve.

Paul

That looks like a great sculpt and thanks for remembering me!! Very pleased to hear it worked well!!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hmm, just got major splatter from turning the Mac valve down - best use might be for weathering? The jury is out on this...
View attachment 467606
I must admit I have a plastic pot I practice on and it's perfect but even then something sometimes goes wrong on the model.

Hope you can rescue it easily.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good sculpt. He reminds me of someone, but I can’t place who……
Coming along nicely isn’t he…..
The MAC valve issue is too little air to atomise the paint…..basically you turned it down too far and choked the brush……

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good sculpt. He reminds me of someone, but I can’t place who……
Coming along nicely isn’t he…..
The MAC valve issue is too little air to atomise the paint…..basically you turned it down too far and choked the brush……
Thanks Tim.... Duly noted for my first test run with it!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul

Very nice start. I was just wondering what colours you use for your flesh tones? It may be the camera but the tone looks a little jaundiced to me. I thought the same about your previous pirates too. My go to recipe is yellow ochre, burnt sienna, and white with the tiniest bit of ultramarine blue added. I then use cadmium scarlet, alizarin crimson and van Dyke brown to add tiny details.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Paul

Very nice start. I was just wondering what colours you use for your flesh tones? It may be the camera but the tone looks a little jaundiced to me. I thought the same about your previous pirates too. My go to recipe is yellow ochre, burnt sienna, and white with the tiniest bit of ultramarine blue added. I then use cadmium scarlet, alizarin crimson and van Dyke brown to add tiny details.

John
I think that may just be the photograph having a colour cast John.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm using acrylic, not oils, John. I used Vallejo German camo black brown (I've not used Payne's grey, but this does something similar, I think), chocolate brown, dark flesh, pale flesh, skin wash ink.

The dark flesh is very orange, so that may be coming through in the pictures, as I routinely underexpose pictures for more saturated colour, and to keep the black background dark.

Or maybe it's a lack of lime juice ;).

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm happy with this level of finish. The logo on his tricorn is my company logo - a purveyor of pleasure boat trips on England's largest lake. I've ordered him a base, and I'll be getting a plate saying "Your Captain Today" - our ticket sellers might use it to frighten small children and amuse their parents. I'll put it in "Finished" once it's all done and dusted.
20221128_202613.jpg20221128_202618.jpg20221128_202624.jpg20221128_202632.jpg
Oh, and he's got a pair of gold earrings - I'm not putting those on until the very end.