Another Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk. Vb - Comments Welcome.

S

Scuff

Kit manufacture: Tamiya

Scale: 1/48

Type: Spitfire MkVb

Extras used: Eduard Zoom PE

Paints and colours used: Vallejo matt clear coat. Lakeland clear floor polish. Tamiya Acrylic.

Here is my attempt at my second kit in 35 years. I purchased it for £10 off of eBay. It was sprayed using my £20 airbrush, also from eBay.

I had to work around some problems and techniques that were new to me, such as paint chipping, and decals that broke without hesitation!

As always, thanks for your help and advice, and your comments are welcome.

Regards

Scuff

http://www.gtmedia.com

FlickrR: Flickr: GTMedia's Photostream

Last edited:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A lovely build and fantastic paint job.

Was the weathering done with your air brush or did you use something else ?

And your pictures are really good.

Well done all round, 5 stars no doubt.

Tony.

ps not a critisism but is the aerial wire missing or is it so fine I just can't see it

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scuff

\ said:
A lovely build and fantastic paint job.Was the weathering done with your air brush or did you use something else ?

And your pictures are really good.

Well done all round, 5 stars no doubt.

Tony.

ps not a critisism but is the aerial wire missing or is it so fine I just can't see it
Thanks Tony.

The weathering - pre-shading and some post shading was done with my airbrush. The chipping was done with a sponge cut to different shapes for different areas. The top was washed with a mix of dark and brown, and the underneath the same but with more brown in he mix.

I haven't fitted the aerial wire, it is going to be handled a lot so I have left it off or now. I have made it out of one of my guitars 'E1' strings :D

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well that looks like it's seen some service! The weathering is very well done,that wing root chipping is very convincing.

How much to weather is really a matter of taste,an artistic decision,and overall this is a bit too heavily weathered for my taste but that doesn't detract from the excellent technique you've brought to the job.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
well done thats one well beaten battle weary spit like Steve says weathering styles are different to everybody but i like yours very much well done and a 5 from me

C

CDW

There's bound to have been some planes that weren't "upkept" as much as they should have been due to over-active service aren't there?.

This could be one of them, a bit more used and abused than others, although i'm in no way an authority on what looked like what and when.

I quite like it for it's rugged "been there, seen it, done it" quality :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
There's bound to have been some planes that weren't "upkept" as much as they should have been due to over-active service aren't there?.
For sure,I wasn't making a criticism of Scuff's model. It is very well done! It is a matter of taste not technique.

I hope nobody,most of all Scuff,thinks I was implying anything negative about the model.

Cheers

Steve

S

Scuff

\ said:
For sure,I wasn't making a criticism of Scuff's model. It is very well done! It is a matter of taste not technique.I hope nobody,most of all Scuff,thinks I was implying anything negative about the model.

Cheers

Steve
Absolutely not Steve. I value your thoughts and comments, thanks for taking time to express them.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think I've said before in numerous posts that I do like a dirty bird. This is indeed one dirty bird, and I like it loads. Nice job. 5*

Colin M........

R

Richy C

Nice work scuff , it looks well battered , I like it , it looks like its come back from a right hard sorte , great work mate .

Richy

C

CDW

\ said:
For sure,I wasn't making a criticism of Scuff's model. It is very well done! It is a matter of taste not technique.
Yep i guessed that mate, i wasn't making a statement, my post was intended as more of a question although my wording was more rhetorical ... my bad.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ride 'em fast and whip 'em 'ard!

A very well executed job. I like Steve like my aircraft a little bit cleaner that that one but boy have you made a good job of it.

Five out of five for the paint job alone!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
.. my bad.
Not at all,sometimes it's easy to misunderstand or misinterpret something written and despatched in cyberspace.

Cheers

Steve