Anteater! ** Plenty of Images **

S

Scuff

Kit manufacturer: Tamiya

Scale: 1/48

Type: Dornier Do335A-12

Extras used: Eduard ‘Zoom’ photo etch.

Paints and colours used: Underside-Tamiya XF-23, Interior-Tamiya XF-22, Camo.-Mr Hobby H422 and H423 RLM82 light green and RLM83 dark green.

I picked this kit up from eBay for £15 and was pleased to see the usual Tamiya quality when it arrived. Flash was negligible and it went together like a dream.

I decided that as this aircraft would not have been battle worn, that I would keep weathering to a minimum. But I also wanted to give some variation in the paint without showing a ‘faded’ effect. I therefore pre-shaded the panel lines with Tamiya matt black and then mottled the panels randomly with yellow and white for the green camo. on the upper surfaces, and grey and white for the underside. The yellow would lighten the top greens without giving a ‘bleached’ effect.

The interior was fitted with visible photo etch parts and the edges of the cockpit structures were highlighted with Tamiya Weathering master pigments. These pigments are easily removed if you drop a clanger!

The Underside was sprayed with my cheapo eBay airbrush, with the paint thinned with 75% X20-A. The colour was built up with about 6 layers until the pre-shading and mottling showed through as I wanted. The top camo. was masked with Tamiya tape and sprayed with light green first. As I wanted the pre-shading and mottling to make an even transition between the two camo colours, I masked and sprayed them separately. The top colours were again thinned to within an inch of their lives and sprayed on with about 5 light misted coats.

Two sealing coats of Lakeland floor polish was sprayed on and allowed to dry for a day. Decals were applied and given the MicroSol treatment, allowed to dry, cut through on the panel lines and then given another dose of MicroSol. Exhaust staining was done with Tamiya Weathering master ‘soot’ and oil stains with Tamiya Weathering Master ‘Oil Stain’ A panel line wash was applied on the top surfaces followed by a dark umber pencil line in some of the dark green panel lines. Chipping was carried out with a silver pencil.

A couple of coats of Xtracrylix matt varnish was applied to seal everything up.

Photos were taken with a Canon G-12 with an STE-2 transmitter firing off 2 Canon 580EX flash guns bounced onto the ceiling. The RAW Images were processed in lightroom and exported with mogrify.

I hope you like the build. As usual, I welcome any observations or comments

Last edited:
M

mobear

that is a lovely plane nice paintwork also first class

mobear

A

andyrobs

Hi Graham, amazing build mate, great job and a big 5 stars from me mate.

Cheers, Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful build graham , superb! Ive got the old monogram promodeller kit in the stash , if i can get it looking anywhere near as good as this ill be well chuffed! , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
All that effort was well worth it! That's turned out very nicely indeed. ***** from me.

Gern

First Name
Michael
Fantastic build and really top drawer paint job, all the work with the lightening and thinning paint has paid off.

Is this a technique you use often? Thanks M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is a terrific model of one of my favourite aeroplanes,well maybe not the two seat version.

Well built and beautifully painted you can't do more than that. You also take some lovely photographs to show it off. Very well done to you.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just off to pick up my jaw from the floor.

WOW thats nice.

Very nice build and paint and photos and Aw it's just nice!!!

Ian M

PS did I say its nice.

S

Scuff

\ said:
Fantastic build and really top drawer paint job, all the work with the lightening and thinning paint has paid off.Is this a technique you use often? Thanks M
Thanks Michael.

As I have only recently taken up the hobby again, ths is the first time that I have painted using the pre-mottling method. As mentioned in my post, the yellow helps to give a colour variation for the greens without giving a bleached paint effect.

A

AJay

A mouth-watering build of an interesting type, Graham. I also love the photos and write-up of the build sequence and method. 5 big ones *****

V

Vajled

as I mention on another forum...

Brilliant looking Dornier... 5* from me

Roman

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

Excellent job Scuff. never seen one of these but i can see why they call it an ant eater, Id call it a Push me pull you lol

Well done, top marks.

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Wow! Outstanding paint work Graham,the depth you've pulled off is truly awesome! Nicely done Sir 5 star effort for sure!!cheers Trey

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Really very good Graham.

One day I hope my build/paint skills will be as good.

5 stars from me as well.

Tony.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A very unusual aircraft, but a great model. Nice job with the paint. It's always good to experiment. 5*

Colin M...