Any metal and punk fans out there?

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd start a thread about music. I absolutely love all forms and sub genre's of metal and punk. I have seen many bands and feel absolutely privileged. Some of my favourites are:-

Slipknot
Metallica
Korn
Slayer
Green Day
Anthrax
Tool
Megadeth
Coal Chamber
Millencolin
Face to Face
Napalm Death
Alice in Chains
System of a Down
Wildhearts
Pitchshifter
The Darkness
5 finger death punch,
Etc, etc, etc

Any of you been to Download or Ozzfest? Any regular gig attendees?

Regards,

Gavin.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Have any of you been to Download
I used to go to Monsters of Rock at Donnington before they got trendy and changed it's name to Download.

I'm more into metal than punk. Faves are;

(Old albums) Metallica
Slipknot
5FDP
Lacuna Coil
Eluveitie
Jinjer
Disturbed
Godsmack
Slayer
Linkin Park
and so so many more. Spotify is great for finding new bands

But my music taste is rather vast. I can go from classical to thrash metal. I aslo really like Nordic/viking music such as Wardruna and Skald

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im old school

sabbath and zeppelin are faves but metallica is ok (old stuff rather than newer....and lars isnt even worthy to carry john bonhams sticks!) and rammstein and the like

as for punk..............the stranglers album rattus norvegicus must be my most played album ever.....along with the scream by the banshees and NB and P by ian dury

im also a rockabilly/psychobilly fan lol

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I Also went to "Monsters of Rock" at Donnington, about 3 times in the mid to late 80's......
.... Saw more bands that I care to remember back in the day...
... Colston Hall, Cornwall Coliseum,and obviously Donnington,..
Won't try and list them all... but MOST of the great metal/ rock bands of our time... MANY times over in some cases ;)

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I used to go to Monsters of Rock at Donnington before they got trendy and changed it's name to Download.

I'm more into metal than punk. Faves are;

(Old albums) Metallica
Slipknot
5FDP
Lacuna Coil
Eluveitie
Jinjer
Disturbed
Godsmack
Slayer
Linkin Park
and so so many more. Spotify is great for finding new bands

But my music taste is rather vast. I can go from classical to thrash metal. I aslo really like Nordic/viking music such as Wardruna and Skald
Good answer!

Yeah Metallica's original first 5 albums are the gold standard for metal, all absolutely essential listening. Of the band's you've listed I also like Disturbed, their early material is good. I don't mind Satyricon, early Norwegian black metal.

I'm too young to have experienced MOR at Donington but have been to x2 Downloads, x2 Ozzfests and several gigs in my younger day, great times, this makes me feel nostalgic writing this.

I have seen all the band's I listed and many more, the best I've ever seen was Slipknot, was lucky to see them in their early days (Ozzfest 2001), was the most exciting and intense show ever, the vibe in the crowd before they took to the stage was surreal and palpable, it's hard to put it into words how good this was....

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
im old school

sabbath and zeppelin are faves but metallica is ok (old stuff rather than newer....and lars isnt even worthy to carry john bonhams sticks!) and rammstein and the like

as for punk..............the stranglers album rattus norvegicus must be my most played album ever.....along with the scream by the banshees and NB and P by ian dury

im also a rockabilly/psychobilly fan lol

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hmmmm doesn't Lars get an unjustified amount of criticism , I don't get it? I find Metallica much more varied than most bands. Definitely with you on Rammstein, one of the few that I've not yet seen that I'd like to...

I like Ska Punk, stuff like [spunge], 4ft fingers and Whitmore (smoke the roach is an unknown classic album, I absolutely love this band!). Have you heard of any of these bands? The Stranglers were before my time (I'm nearly 43) but they aren't bad, quite underrated I'd say?

Gavin

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Take your pick from this lot. And that's only the first 100 songs listed in that folder lol :smiling3:

Good play list that! Mine is similar. Good taste you have there, most of the Staple metal bands are in there.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hmmmm doesn't Lars get an unjustified amount of criticism , I don't get it? I find Metallica much more varied than most bands. Definitely with you on Rammstein, one of the few that I've not yet seen that I'd like to...

I like Ska Punk, stuff like [spunge], 4ft fingers and Whitmore (smoke the roach is an unknown classic album, I absolutely love this band!). Have you heard of any of these bands? The Stranglers were before my time (I'm nearly 43) but they aren't bad, quite underrated I'd say?

Gavin
If you want true to stage stranglers listen to the album Live, X-cert. Much more true punk than the album material. I saw them several times in the very early eighties and they were very like this. The later stuff was approaching prog, especially La Folie onwards. Nothing wrong with that, but it ain’t punk.
Best punk gig I went to was Souxie and the Banshees in about 1980. Excellent live act, very tight and absolutely compelling. Stiff little fingers in 1981 were superb as well. Motörhead on the ace of spades tour were in a class of their own, closer to punk than metal.
Did MoR in the year AC/DC headlined, and, to be honest, they weren’t very good. Best band on the day was Slade by miles. That was probably my metal swan song, I moved off the genre into folk (via the pogues, a superb live and studio act) and classical. The pogues at Cambridge folk were superb……
Did see the Sabbath tour with Van Halen in the late seventies, and never rated either of them……I guess I’m hard to please ;)
I was at the Ozzy gig at Southampton when they recorded the two tracks used on “Tribute”, that gig was better than Sabbath.
I missed the last Lizzy gig because I thought they’d had their day and I had more interesting things to do……whaddamistakadamaka….
Very rarely attend gigs these days though.

Last edited:

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
If you want true to stage stranglers listen to the album Live, X-cert. Much more true punk than the album material. I saw them several times in the very early eighties and they were very like this. The later stuff was approaching prog, especially La Folie onwards. Nothing wrong with that, but it ain’t punk.
Best punk gig I went to was Souxie and the Banshees in about 1980. Excellent live act, very tight and absolutely compelling. Stiff little fingers in 1981 were superb as well. Motörhead on the ace of spades tour were in a class of their own, closer to punk than metal.
Did MoR in the year AC/DC headlined, and, to be honest, they weren’t very good. Best band on the day was Slade by miles. That was probably my metal swan song, I moved off the genre into folk (via the pogues, a superb live and studio act) and classical. The pogues at Cambridge folk were superb……
Did see the Sabbath tour with Van Halen in the late eighties, and never rated either of them……I guess I’m hard to please ;)
I was at the Ozzy gig at Southampton when they recorded the two tracks used on “Tribute”, that gig was better than Sabbath.
I missed the last Lizzy gig because I thought they’d had their day and I had more interesting things to do……whaddamistakadamaka….
Very rarely attend gigs these days though.
1980 was the year I was born! Most of the band's you mentioned are before my time but I have seen AC D.C., great show but i'm not their biggest fan, seen Thin Lizzy excluding the original singer, was an OK show and I've seen Spade at Butlins I think?!

Never really understood why Motorhead were so revered to be honest? Don't get me wrong, Lemmy is/was iconic but their music has just never grabbed me.

The Nu Metal era is my era, stuff like Slipknot and Korn which you probably don't like .

There is no right or wrong at the end of the day, it's all subjective.

P.S. There are 2 bands that I can't stand, they are the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the Foo Fighters!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not much I don’t like to be honest Gav. I just don’t know it well because I moved on to explore other avenues of music. Not over keen on screamo though, that’s more my daughters interest. I personally lost interest in metal type bands during the 1980s hair metal period…..thought it was too much style over too little substance, or as John Peel said about one band…….”a complete waste of talent and electricity”…..I simply found it no longer connected with me.
I do find it funny when modern stadium bands are called “punk” though, it’s the total antithesis of what the original movement entailed :tongue-out3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Went to see Blondie in the mid 70's. I lived in Sheffield, it was then a really vibrant music scene, with a lot of live music venues - I saw Human league & Def Leppard in one of them. Mike Harding & Jake Thackray appeared at my Fathers' local! I went in the Progressive direction, seeing the Moody Blues, Camel before moving to South Gloucestershire - where going to any big gigs meant a major expedition!
I now use Spotify for my music - and a really wide range of music! From Pink Floyd, Vangelis, Latin Quarter, through P!nk, Taylor Swift to classical stuff ( I once listened to the entire Ring Cycle by Wagner - it took several days! ). If I can't decide - I use Spotify 'Daily Mix', which sometimes really throws up a real gem
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Saw Def Leppard at Don Valley Stadium in '93. They were utter pants imho. The support acts of Ugly Kid Joe and Thunder blew them off the stage
Should've seen them in '83 at Colston Hall,(Bristol),Alan...
They were awesome back in those days, when they were a proper British Rock band mate. ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Went to see Blondie in the mid 70's. I lived in Sheffield, it was then a really vibrant music scene, with a lot of live music venues - I saw Human league & Def Leppard in one of them. Mike Harding & Jake Thackray appeared at my Fathers' local! I went in the Progressive direction, seeing the Moody Blues, Camel before moving to South Gloucestershire - where going to any big gigs meant a major expedition!
I now use Spotify for my music - and a really wide range of music! From Pink Floyd, Vangelis, Latin Quarter, through P!nk, Taylor Swift to classical stuff ( I once listened to the entire Ring Cycle by Wagner - it took several days! ). If I can't decide - I use Spotify 'Daily Mix', which sometimes really throws up a real gem
Dave
I saw Human league in a Bournemouth venue like an underground car park. It was before the girls joined when they were still using the liquid crystal slides as part of the act……must of been right at the start of their career. Very good gig, easy to see how they took off. Seen Camel three or four times on successive tours (up to stationary traveller) and saw Harding at Cambridge. Got a wide range of classical music in my collection, and used to listen to Opera with the libretto to follow the story. Saw Don Giovani by the ENO at Southampton once, really good but a bit expensive. A good orchestra at full throttle is something everyone should experience at least once. Better than almost any band I’ve ever seen.