Anyone ever tried this glue?

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Saw this advertised as stronger than CA. So thought I might try it out. Does anyone have any experience of it?

glue.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've not seen that but will give it a try. did you get it at a hobby outlet or a hardware store?
Cheers, Rick H.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Rick

Got it from a hardware store.

John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks John, I'll be looking for it.

Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Just had a quick look around.....there are lots of reviews on the net, mostly positive. Amazon.com and homedepot have the most...some hobby sites carry more in depth reviews as well.
It seems like a repositionable CA from the descriptions. Holds in thirty seconds and cures in thirty minutes, so should be very useful for etch work and dissimilar materials.
The vast majority of negative reviews seem to circle around “doesn’t bond ceramics” which the manufacturer attributes to over application, and “dries rapidly in the container once used”. This last appears to happen even if it is properly closed.
Apparently there is a use by date on the base of the pot as well, Second and third numbers are the year, and last three are the day number. It is supposed to rapidly deteriorate once that is passed. From these reviews I would say it seems useful, but buy it in small amounts and expect to regularly replace unused stock.
Can you feed back your experiences with this stuff as it will be useful to hear how it works in our discipline....
Cheers
Tim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi guys

I can now report that I have had a go at using this glue. It is a lot like a thick CA. It says "sets in 30 seconds" my experience is that it actually sets a bit quicker than that, although that may just be a function of temperature. I have to say that I found it to be very good. Holds well on PE and plastic, gives just enough time to make sure the fitting is correct. I still don't know about the shelf life but after about 2 weeks it is still flowing well.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Thanks for that. Do you know yet if it "fogs" clear parts like CA can do? Also does it dry clear? Is the dry glue brittle or does it remain slightly rubbery? I ask the last question because with CA if a little squeezes out from a joint it needs wiping away immediately whereas other glues are best left to dry completely and then any excess can be cut away with a sharp blade. Interesting stuff. Think I'll have to invest in some rather than keep pestering you :smiling2:
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim

I dipped my canopy in Future before attaching , then I used this glue to attach it. So far there is absolutely no fogging. I have not tried, but I think this glue will set like Thick CA and therefore is best cleaned up straight away.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks John
Just had a look at UK suppliers. Hard to find. Amazon and eBay both sell the stuff but ship from USA - it's not expensive and free postage so it is just a longer delivery time.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Amazon and eBay both sell the stuff but ship from USA - it's not expensive and free postage so it is just a longer delivery time.
Have you actually tried to order, or are you going by what it says next to the item on the product page? Because my experience with Amazon is that it will do the latter, then when you try to order, it’ll either whack you with big shipping charges or say that the item can’t be shipped to your location at all.