Arnhem Dio

• Thread starter Tyler Christiansen
  • Start date

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Hello bud

Well it's going to be full dio there's a lot going on looks real nice can't wait to see the finished article ..

Geegad

K

Kieran

\ said:
What did you use for the netting ?
Looks like the netting you get with bags of oranges/onions then painted

could be wrong though

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Tyler as John ( geegad ) says looks good and going to be a busy diorama. With the paratroopers in the house a street scene would be good or the germans going over a bridge to the house with the paras in being Arnem ( the bridge too far ) You would not need to build the whole bridge just the end bit with the road heading towards the house

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Aaron
Hi Tyler, might i suggest that you get your hands on some packing polystyrine as this is very easy to carve with a knife. You dont need to "sculpt" this as you just want to use it to shape any height you want for terrain. Once you have the basic shape you want cover it in a polyfiller, If you are going to spray the base with a aerosol can then you really need to cover the entire surface of the polystyrine with filler as aerosol will melt it. While the polyfiller is still damp you can dab at it with a stiff brush to create surface texture. Adding sand or stones or trees can also be done while the filler is still damp.HTH a little

Aaron.

T

Tyler Christiansen

thank you all very much for the comments and tips and to answer the question about the netting its actually from verlinden and to hold it up i took some plastic rods from old sprues and cut them into appropriate sizes

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
How's this one coming along? I always look forward to seeing your masterpieces.

Cheers

Steve

T

Tyler Christiansen

well, I have once again been stuck on the terrain and due to no money/getting ready for ROTC scholarships and college ive slowed down on modelling any more tips on the terrain would be greatly appreciated

First Name
Aaron
As long as you have pva glue you have a diorama. Real terrain is free, soil, twigs, moss. Paint brush bristles make good long grass. Go for it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tyler, as Aaron points out, the terrain for dioramas is free and is there under your feet!......I don't buy anything for mine, that to me is part of the fun when building dios....... and long may it stay so!lol

Good luck with the build and keep us posted on progress.

Cheers,

Ron

T

Tyler Christiansen

ok thanks pva glue and stuff out of my backyard sounds like a plan and i REALLY know this is WAY off topic but im also starting a new project and it is going to contain water (I know I have to finish this project but i like to multi-task on projects) so any water tips would also be deeply appreciated

C

CDW

Waters usually a Greeny blue painted base (the darker the colour the deeper it looks) and then any form of clear resin poured over it, then you add any ripples and/or water surface texture you require.

I've used a painted base with some sheets of "clip frame" glass placed over it with reasonable success, the glass comes in sizes from 6x4 inches and up so normally there's no need for cutting, just build up the banks to the water over the edge of the glass. oil washes will give you any ripple effect and small amounts of bi-barb can give a wave crest effect if needed.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ty, which method you use depends on what type of water you are aiming for......Is it sea, river, lake or pond? let us know then we can all chip in with our own methods.

Why not start a new thread on your water project and keep it separate from 'Arnhem'? That way we can see two of your excellent dios being constructed side by side!

Cheers,

Ron

T

Tyler Christiansen

well i started a new thread heres the link to it and as soon as i finish the terrain ill post pictures of it

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/dioramas/15522-new-winter-dio-why-tigers-dont-play-mud.html#post121943

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
I've used a painted base with some sheets of "clip frame" glass placed over it with reasonable success, the glass comes in sizes from 6x4 inches and up so normally there's no need for cutting, just build up the banks to the water over the edge of the glass. oil washes will give you any ripple effect and small amounts of bi-barb can give a wave crest effect if needed.
Pics Pls =)