Art

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi folks,

I'm probably on the wrong forum regarding this but I'd like to share with you folks my first ever attempt at surrealist art. This is an A3 acrylic painting. Some of the techniques for figure painting are used here so it's all relative. Any of you also do 2D painting?

Regards,

Gav.

Attachments

• 20230111_193217.jpg
    20230111_193217.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 36

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You're in the right section so don't worry Gavin :smiling3:

I'm not into paints personally. More pastels and pencil art

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Gavin, I missed this....

Surrealist painting is not really my bag. I'm more an 'As is' watercolour dabbler.

None the less your painting is very effective. :thumb2:

Ron

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Sorry Gavin, I missed this....

Surrealist painting is not really my bag. I'm more an 'As is' watercolour dabbler.

None the less your painting is very effective. :thumb2:

Ron
As I said on another similar thread - "These a lot of talent around" :thumb2:
Thanks folks, I appreciate your compliments. This is only my first ever painting and it's only a sideshow for me, I'm no natural artist, but I enjoy having a go nonetheless...

Gav.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bravo for giving painting a try. I find it to be the perfect relaxation and very satisfying. No matter what your level or what medium you use.

Here's a couple of mine:

Last wee dram.jpg

Oil on canvas

My left hand.jpg

Pen and ink with pastel white highlighting.

Keep it up

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lovely work John.
Very nice indeed.

What a talented bunch you all are. :thumb2:

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Gavin, no matter what your artist's medium might be or what your aspirations are, that is all that matters.

Ron
That's the main thing Gav. If you enjoy it then nobody should tell you otherwise. Keep it up. Even though it's not my area of art i still would like to see more as and when you do it.
Well this is it, it's all about the enjoyment. I don't see art as a competition, but there has to be some tangible satisfaction in the end result. Art is complex and to be good at it takes real skill. You can of course improve if you''re average, but it has to be discernible otherwise most people will just give up.
You can tell if someone is genuinely impressed by what you've done, it's in the body language. With figure painting I feel as though I've got things pretty much nailed down, have been satisfied with my projects and have received genuine praise from respected craftsmen on this forum which I'm thankful for. I feel as though I've reached the plateau of my ability regarding figures so I've decided to take a hiatus and produce 2D abstract/surrealist art instead for a while.

The artwork that you have both uploaded on here is genuinely talented, excellent work in my opinion.

Regards,

Gav

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Bravo for giving painting a try. I find it to be the perfect relaxation and very satisfying. No matter what your level or what medium you use.

Here's a couple of mine:

View attachment 471536

Oil on canvas

View attachment 471537

Pen and ink with pastel white highlighting.

Keep it up

John
Wow, this is so good, particularly the whisky bottle. Genuine artistic talent here. Amazing work.

Regards,

Gav

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The hardest part is picking the subject and your medium, having a go is praise worthy so well done , enjoy .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’m amazed by all of this, especially as my own draughtsmanship is virtually zero…..I can colour in but that’s about it……drawing anything remotely recognisable is beyond me. You should all be genuinely proud of your results.

Got to ask a question now though John….what’s the chord…..if the ring finger isn’t down I got Bmin7, and if it isn’t I got F#min+…….enquiring minds need to know.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Tim I think it is supposed to be an F# minor with a sort of sixthy thing thrown in.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim I think it is supposed to be an F# minor with a sort of sixthy thing thrown in.

John
That’ll be the F# minor augmented (F#min+) I went with then….the fifth is sharpened…..getting close to the opening chord on hard days night…..

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Another deep, surreal painting of mine with a touch of abstract thrown in!

Regards,

Gavin.

Attachments

• 20230205_175419.jpg
    20230205_175419.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 15

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi all,

Have been on a bit of an art hiatus, done several paintings. Below is one of them. Will catch up on the forum in the next few days....

Regards,

Gavin.20230308_220423-1.jpg

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done Gavin! Wouldn't know where to start.

Andrew