AS186A compressor with tank...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Might be after a new compressor soon. considering an AS 186A compressor. Any one here use one and are they any good.
Needs to be quite as well as the Good lady has her office next to my cave...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Ian

AS186 (tanked) is the only one I've had, so can't compare with others. Price at the time was c. £75 and it came with two cheap Chinese ABs.

I've had no major problems with it but I always make sure I drain it after every session just in case.

It's not super quiet but my son sleeps above the kitchen where I do my work and it's never woken up when I've been doing it late at night....and my wife sometimes works in the kitchen when I'm in the middle of a session without complaint.

Hope that helps a bit.

Andrew

Last edited:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I have an AS189, bought on Amazon ( John's shop link there ) , has done me all I need.
Not the quietest, but not really loud either.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ian

Perhaps the best way to describe it is that it is one of those sorts of sounds that you initially notice but you soon tune out and only realise it's been there when you turn it off..... My extractor fan is exactly the same.

if you're on a hard floor I would stand it on some sort of mat from a vibration perspective.

HTH.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
if you're on a hard floor I would stand it on some sort of mat from a vibration perspective.

HTH.

Andrew
A suitable carpet offcut placed pile side down worked very well with mine.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's basically what I've got but a newer version. daughter No2 has her bedroom net to my cave and she can't hear the compressor running at any time day or night. It does sit on carpet.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Might be after a new compressor soon. considering an AS 186A compressor. Any one here use one and are they any good.
Needs to be quite as well as the Good lady has her office next to my cave...
Ian,
I bought mine from Amazon on 25th September 2013 for £74.45 including two cheap airbrushes. It's not super quiet, but if you put it on a rubber mat, that will help. When I'm using it, I don't have to turn my music up & I can hear the telephone ring in the living room - It's more the starting & stopping of the compressor that make you aware it's working. I've never had a moments problems with it - I added a longer braided air-hose & quick release couplings, but that's it. Mine has always run indoors, with the same temperature & humidity that I live in - I reckon most problems are caused by dampness & cold.
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well thank you all. Most helpful I think I will be ordering one tomorrow....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well thank you all. Most helpful I think I will be ordering one tomorrow....
Dave has actually summarised it the best..... Especially on the stop/starting front.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I do forget occasionally to turn the compressor off - the system must be pretty airtight, as it can be 1/4 hour before it kicks in & reminds me to flick the switch.........
Dave
Mine's about the same, maybe even a bit longer

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Agree with all the above. To release the pressure at the end of a sesssion I remove the drain plug from the tank. Blows out any moisture from the tank. I leave the plug out until I need to use it again. Helps the tank to stay dry. Rust can easily build up in the tank if moisture is allowed to collect.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Agree with all the above. To release the pressure at the end of a sesssion I remove the drain plug from the tank. Blows out any moisture from the tank. I leave the plug out until I need to use it again. Helps the tank to stay dry. Rust can easily build up in the tank if moisture is allowed to collect.
Great minds think alike! Exactly what I do!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i have similar in the past and am always worried about the noise, as mine is on a wooden shelf in a cupboard so it resonates a bit so i stood it on some thick polystyrene sheet to soak up any vibration, and stood some to the side and back of it as well....works a treat

one problem i had with this type of compressor was it would often take longer to fill the tank than i would actually spend airbrushing!...always annoyed me so i dont bother with the tanked version any more

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I do forget occasionally to turn the compressor off - the system must be pretty airtight, as it can be 1/4 hour before it kicks in & reminds me to flick the switch.........
Dave
I think yours is leaking Dave - mine lasts at least an hour. I never notice the noise as I use a spray booth, and the fan in the booth makes a lot more noise. The compressor is hardly louder than my freezer.
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Update:
Got a bit side tracked and as the old Presser still works I finally ordered a new one today.
A lucky find for me. I was just seeing if I could find one to a better price than my go to places- One was sold out the other had one for £210 Then found a place that had one on offer! Yeah, £100.