Assembly/Painting.

A

andyscott

Hi i am about to start my first build in too many years too mention.

The model i have bought is a MB 1/35 ,BMW German motorcycle combination.

Excuse my ignorance regarding this but i was thinking of painting the parts on the spru before assembly.I just thought as my eyesight and the nimbleness of my fingers are not as good as they used too be,it would be easier for me.

Also a question about the paints i will be using which are Tamiya acrylics,do i thin the paints and if so about what percentage of mixture.

Many thanks in advance.

M

Murphy's law

I have painted small parts on the tree before just be sure to leave where you are gluing free of paint or scrap off before assembly. Also you will have to touch up where you removed from the tree. On the Tamiya I have always found it thin enough right out of the bottle for brush painting and airbrushing.

M

Mark P

Painting on the sprue is how most do it Andy so that's fine, Tamiya acrylic and a brush! All I can say to that one is good luck as its never worked for me. The paint tacks up very fast but is fine with an airbrush. I use Revell paint and I always start with adding 50 drops of water then go from there. At the end of the day its a personal thing so play around until you are happy mate

A

andyscott

Thanks Mark P.(and my spelling mistake)

Sprue.

Last edited:
M

Murphy's law

One thing I forgot to mention, if the part has any seam lines or flashing that needs sanding or filling it's best to remove from the tree. Just something to look for.

0ne48thtel

It depends on what you feel comfortable with Andy I tend to remove parts for panting and mount carefully  on a bit of blutac on a cocktail stick. Once dry you just move the painted bit to the bluetac and repeat. I have never had a problem with paint being pulled off by the tac before anyone says anything lol.

0ne48thtel

One thing I forgot to mention above is that once the part is ready for mounting in it's place you can use said cocktail stick and bluetac to place the part where it goes.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I never paint on the sprue and I thought that was true of most people.

The problem is that parts need a clean up, just about all parts have a mold seam to remove and that is often not practical while on the sprue.  Add to that the touching up needed when removed, then painting on the sprue is not the best option.

What I do is remove the part from the sprue and clean it up first of all.

I then identify an area that will not need painting, a tab perhaps or an inside surface, perhaps location pin, that wont need painting - sometimes the rear of a part that will need a different colour.  I will then fix that to something, perhaps a lolly stick on which I attach double sided tape or perhaps a piece of blue tac to hold the part.  Often I will superglue the part to a piece of sprue, particularly if its a small part like an aerial or a wheel strut.  The piece can very easily be removed from the sprue before painting but it may need to superglue to be filed or sanded of the part before gluing into place.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I never paint on the sprue and I thought that was true of most people.

Me neither.

I assemble as far as I can reasonably go before I start painting. Everyone will have a different opinion of how far this is. I then depend on a magnifier, good detail brushes and a steady hand for the rest.

There are a few, generally larger parts, which I might spray prior to assembly.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andyscott

Thanks all for the invaluable info regarding this post it's very much appreciated.

It's years since i assembled and painted any scale model and things have changed a bit since then with techniques etc.

Thanks again.

Andy.

0ne48thtel

Anything else you want to know Andy just ask there is so much knowledge on here and we are all friendly. Good luck with your build looking forward to seeing it.