Austin Metro Paint

B

bassmanstu

Hello :smiling3:

I am new to this site and was after a little help. My girl friend owns a Austin Metro. I have bought a little die cast modle and I am wanting to repaint it the same colour. I have two questions;

1) Should i take all the old paint off? If yes, what is the best way to strip the paint?

2)Can anyone help me workout what colour i need or colours i should mix to get a accurate colour.

37431-austin-metro-paint-1983-mg-metro-1300.jpg
37432-austin-metro-paint-screen-shot-2011-12-18-17.12.09.jpg

The pictures are from the ebay auction as well as a picture of a metro that is the same colour as my girl friends.

View attachment 41618

View attachment 41619

1983-mg-metro-1300.jpg

Screen shot 2011-12-18 at 17.12.09.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well now, that's not just an Austin Metro, if I'm right, it's an MG metro. So how about a trip to halfords to see if they have a similar (or the actual colour) in stock. Failing that, some places can mix colours and put them in a spray can for you, google this suggestion for more info. Tricky thing here is, the metalic flakes will be out of scale. In the past I've sprayed old matchbox cars and only sanded them down with various grades of wet 'n' dry. But, beware, the metal is quite soft. Do use a primer and wet 'n' dry it down, this will help with the finish.

And don't forget, show us a pic of the result.

Regards

Colin M..........

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
pop the bonnet and look at the paint code number. It's there some where.

Ian M

G

GeeBee

Looks like Zircon blue metallic to me, have a look on the VIN plate, where it says colour, you should see a code JNJ, if so, you can get the paint mixed at at any motor factors, using the code BLVC 471