Auto Spray Paints

M

mule4468

I have a small query, which no doubt has either been answered elsewhere (sorry) or some one will have the answer:

Poundland are currently selling some auto spray paints - gloss black, gloss white, grey (primer) and silver. My query is are these or any auto/car paints suitable for modelling on plastic or vinyl.

I have a few model kits that these would come in handy - one of which is (funnily enough) a car.

I have other paints both acrylic and enamel, together with grey primer (Simoniz/Holts) and was just wondering if they would be of use or would they "damage" the plastic/vinyl?

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Hello Ian Well I use grey car primer for my base coat and it works real well.

I my self have wondered if you could use another colour so hopefully somebody with more knowledge will help us both

Geegad

B

Bunkerbarge

As with modelling paint there are different types. You can get acrylics and you can get cellulose paints so compatibility is a big issue. Things like the Halfords primers are acrylic and I use them quite a bit then hand paint over them with enamels. I would be a lot more cautious if the paints are cellulose as they will almost certainly affect the plastic.

As a lot of solvent based paints are now being phased out you should take care and make sure that you are not buying a paint that could give you a problem. Acrylics and enamels are fine and you should consider thier compatability as you would for brushed paints.

M

mule4468

Thanks guys. The primer is acrylic based, so will / hopefully work, I will however try them on a small piece of plastic just in case.

Apart from the car, I have a re-cast Dark Horse King Kong which I was going to paint predominantely black, poss. with a grey or blue wash to give it some highlights, and I dont (as yet ) have an airbrush so rather than painting by hand (the model is approx. 15 Inches tall), I thought spraying would be easier.

The model wasn't too expensive (less than a tenner), but it had to be shipped from Taiwan, plus it is a model that I have been searching long and hard for, so I don't want to ruin it (the plastic). If I am better painting by hand, then this will be perhaps the better option.