Autumn diorama

J

Jim Scott

Hi all just wanted you to have a look at the my second attempt at a diorama, I call it the autumn diorama as i haven't thought up another name yet and being a true Scot I try to do as much as I can at zero cost or minimal impact to the wallet (a lot of recycling).

The base is an old unwanted picture frame, the foundation started life as a block of styrofoam packing that had been cut and shaped to the frame. I used pva and wall filler to cover the styrofoam, when dry used a mixture of pva and sieved soil from my garden for the ground cover. The rocks for the river had been collected from the nearby beach. I did attempt to make the trees from wire, but had been unhappy with my attempts and I had accumulated a small wire forest before turning to seafoam.

The tree foliage is a mixture of dried leaves put through a coffee grinder and sieved to the desired size, the bushes are made from dishpan scourer and covered with coriander and parsley.

the diorama is to 1/76 scale and the land rover will be part of a 5 vehicle convoy

Thanks for looking and any constructive comments would be welcome

Jim

View attachment 56231View attachment 56228View attachment 56229View attachment 56232View attachment 56230View attachment 56227

View attachment 58309

View attachment 58310

View attachment 58311

View attachment 58312

View attachment 58313

View attachment 58314

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Everything looks spot on to me jim , the trees especially look great, cheers tony

P

Polux

Looks a great start!! Very nice diorama Jim.

Really love it....and it isn't because there is a Land Rover in it ;) ;)

Can I ask wich is the brand of this Landy? Hongwell, Shuco? isn't an Oxford model!! I'm lost.... I don't have in my collection.

Cheers

Polux

A

AJay

That's absolutely awesome, Jim! Those trees are very convincing, too. :smiling3:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
nice ground work buddy and the car sits well

J

Jim Scott

\ said:
Looks a great start!! Very nice diorama Jim.Really love it....and it isn't because there is a Land Rover in it ;) ;)

Can I ask wich is the brand of this Landy? Hongwell, Shuco? isn't an Oxford model!! I'm lost.... I don't have in my collection.

Cheers

Polux

Many Thanks Chaps, Polux the Landy is a product of Veller, I had taken it a part and gave it a paint job. Then I made the roll cadge / bull bars / roof rack, bunged on a new set of decals. I did the same with the Oxford diecast 110 ( but a lot more fabrication)

Jim

T

treyzx10r

Looks great Jim,like the rocks as well. Nice balance with the placement of everyting too.

C

CDW

nice and tidy. well laid out to look natural.

maybe a scattering here and there of small "gravel" to break up the larger stones might be a consideration?

those trees are nice ..what did you pay for them?

J

Jim Scott

\ said:
nice and tidy. well laid out to look natural.maybe a scattering here and there of small "gravel" to break up the larger stones might be a consideration?

those trees are nice ..what did you pay for them?
Hi Colin, They came in at £19 for a box, still have quite a few left for possible future project.

First Name
Aaron
Sea foam is great stuff and looks the part.

Awesome dio mate

J

Jim Scott

Hi All latest update, the dio hasn't moved on as fast as I would like :sad: But still...I have got around to finishing the trees and shrubsView attachment 57515

and have put them in position View attachment 57516

I still haven't put in the water as I am tinkering with a small vignette as a test piece (pictures to follow). I have been thinking of scratch building one of theseView attachment 57517

In 1/76 but any other ideas should be welcome.

Thats it for now, Jim

View attachment 59462

View attachment 59463

View attachment 59464

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

T

tommy1drop

Hi Jim

Looks great buddy, I really like the ground work and those trees, looking forward to seeing more.

Tom

P

phalinmegob

thats pretty much the same as the one i built for my river why dio,piece of cake mate, i used balsa wood and stuck it together with drops of superglue,just keep the superglue in the joins and not on any of the faces off the wood because it wont take a stain or such like and stands out like a sore thumb

B

Boldman

Superb, I love the variation in vegetation you've achieved, always something that needs careful attention when building any sort of miniature landscape! Look forward to see more!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That looks really nice Jim....Good balance.

How about continuing the post and wire fence all along the top and having the posts just dangling in the stream as you see in the countryside....

Excellent vegetation.

Cheers,

Ron