Avro mk1/3 lancaster bomber

C

cryton 5

:goodpost: hi new project mk1/3 avro lancaster bomber revell . on a personal note a new memorial has been opened by the queen to respect all who fought in the wars on bomber comand .

in these troubled times ,some should think about what these people fought for and gave freedom

demoracay politians who take away ,rights and change thing's think before you act peopl'es life are affected with what you do .

give some pride back too this country !!! too all who fought for this country my respect forever !!!!!View attachment 47057View attachment 47058View attachment 47059View attachment 47060View attachment 47061View attachment 47062View attachment 47063

View attachment 50035

View attachment 50036

View attachment 50037

View attachment 50038

View attachment 50039

View attachment 50040

View attachment 50041

Photo1637.jpg

Photo1643.jpg

Photo1642.jpg

Photo1641.jpg

Photo1640.jpg

Photo1639.jpg

Photo1638.jpg

T

tecdes

Nice subject I made an Airfix around Christmas time. Looks good on the shelf.

Yes a tribute Bomber Crews.

Laurie

M

mobear

i built this one,this is such a fun model to do,good luck

mobear

W

wbk666

it looks a much better kit than the old 04328 kit i'm currently fighting with. I may have to look out for one of these

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Can't wait to see the finished product. I know noone who does not like a Lancaster.

W

wbk666

looking forward to seeing how you deal with that seam down the spine with the kit already painted.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking good so far James.

I've got one of these in the stash. Watching your build with interest.

Tony.

A

andygh

Great stuff

This is a very good kit..... so good that even I made mine look like an aeroplane :biggthumpup:

S

Saber

Looking nice love the Revell kits and much respect to those brave souls that fought for our freedom.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

M

Mustang69

Nice going.

My grandfather was in an SA Airforce bomber squadron during the war, flew bostons, blenheims, those type of winged ones in North Africa and Italy. Was shot down three times. Once had to survive behind enemy lines in North Africa for three months and broke his nose in the crash. Apparently he wasn't squirmish to eating all kinds of weird things after the war. He was a navigator, gunner, etc, where ever they needed as crew and planes got killed wounded damaged destroyed etc. He told some interesting stories, whenever my father could drag it out of him, about makeshift runway bases in the desert and lying in side trenches while being bombed by the axis, or themselves divebombing the enemies runways in the early years of the war with Hawker Harts. The UK gave SA 36 Hawker Harts when the war got gong and SA sent them up to North Africa for action with SA crews. He saw the war out after some airlift action in Europe, think it was either the polish or East German one, and was a flying instructor after the war in Havards (what we call the Texan T-6 here). Then went civil and became an accountant and many years later died from skin cancer from a mole that got nicked on a water slide that went malignant when my father was 17 (and in the airforce). Go figure. He had some medals, but my aunt got all his war photos and stuff when my father died and I'm not on speaking terms with that side of the family. Pity, becasue I only know from what my father told me from memory and I struggle to source anything about him on the web. Pity, cause I got his initials and name, but couldn't get into the airforce as a pilot due to new regime political rules, even with a pilot's license.

In SA, there aren't special memorials and anything much for bomber crews, other than at the Union Buildings, that I Know of, especially with the new regime, so it's great that UK at least remember the sacrifices their bomber crews made. Few realize that if UK had gone down in the war, SA wouldn't have lasted long either with the German influence in South West Africa at the time. We sent troops to fight in some of the most difficult battles in North Africa. Even one of the known Aces flying in UK during battle of britain, who advised with Douglas Bader and another Brit on wehther the spitfire should have cannons or stay with machine guns, was a South African, Sailor Malan. I think UK has recognized the SA contribution more than SA has done itself or does today. Pity.

Sorry for getting carried away.

Frikkie

C

cryton 5

hi from cry ,

thats fine it gives me a proud sense when working on avro have downloaded

pictures info on this aircraft it part and those who to this year with a memorial

in there name was put up

thats why its taken so long i want it to to be as near perfect as i can .

more to come cry and my respect to

youre family be proud as we all should

cry !!!!!!

C

cryton 5

Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III

This model is dedicated too all who served and sacrificed in the name of freedom.

Noted officer’s

• Squadron Leader Ian Willoughby Bazalgette[36]
  • Wing Commander Guy Gibson
  • Warrant Officer Norman Cyril Jackson[37]
  • Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski[38]
  • Squadron Leader John Dering Nettleton[39]
  • Squadron Leader Robert Anthony Maurice Palmer[40]
  • Flight Lieutenant William Reid
  • Flight Sergeant George Thompson
  • Group Captain Leonard Cheshire - most unusually he did not receive the VC for any particular act, instead it was awarded for sustained courage on over 100 bombing missions. (N.B some flown in other aircraft including the Mosquito and Mustang).
  • Captain (acting Major) Edwin Swales

Role

Heavy bomber

Manufacturer

Avro

Designer

Roy Chadwick

First flight

9 January 1941

Introduction

February 1942

Retired

1963 (Canada)

Primary users

Royal Air Force

Royal Canadian Air Force

Royal Australian Air Force

Royal New Zealand Air Force

Number built

Unit cost

£45-50,000

Developed from

Avro Manchester

Variants

Avro Lancastrian

Developed into

Avro York

Avro Lincoln

View attachment 57218View attachment 57223View attachment 57219View attachment 57220View attachment 57221View attachment 57222

View attachment 59188

View attachment 59189

View attachment 59190

View attachment 59191

View attachment 59192

View attachment 59193

019.jpg

021 (2).jpg

022.jpg

055.jpg

046.jpg

073.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A very fitting tribute to those who served with Bomber Command Cryton. Well done mate.