B-24

D

dubster72

I'm not a airplane modeller but this looks really good, great paintjob! How did the Monogram kit go together coz they're rather old I believe? Pretty big it looks as well!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks really nice.You've done a top job on that kit. Some of those Monogram kits were not too clever but you obviously got the better of that one.Also good to see a B-24,the B-17 seems to overshadow it in the world of models.

Which paints do you use and did you mix your own Olive Drab? I like the browny/yellow tinge you've got to it,very realistic.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
James
thank you both on the coments makes the effort worth it!:beer: as far as the monogram kit goes i used the one with the nmf B-24 "on defence" box art one. The bombay was really lack luster made a new one, there was no radio/nav room at all just a big empty space and the bomber room is is open for improvement as well. BUT the kit went together really quite well for its age as well as the detail they did put in is good as well. they also give you the option of bay doors open or closed. it came with a tow tractor and figures im still working on foiling my B-17 which came with a trailer for bombs i plan on doing a dio with them here are some pics of the tractor and what i added to the bay. The paints i used are all vallejo model air. i used grey primer base, dark sea grey for the pre shade , olive drab on the whole plane, then did the lighter under side using the olive drab as a preshade with a bit of a hemp and light grey mix. its a little too yellowy it think but as a whole it looks good so i left it.

View attachment 21045

View attachment 21046

View attachment 21047

View attachment 21048

b-24003.jpg

b-24004.jpg

b-24002.jpg

b-24006.jpg

F

Fenlander

Lovely aircraft, superb paint finish (I need an airbrush sob, sob.... don't say it was brush painted or I may slit my wrists... bad enough with the amazing brush work on a Lancaster on here)

Anyway, very well done, love the scratch built bomb bay and the tractor & figures are looking really good to.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the info. I see you are foiling your B-17. You are a braver man than me! Good luck with that. Looks like an excellent diorama in the offing.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
excellent job, well done .great scratch building too. Most of the old monogram kits are really good like you say, I dont think they get the credit they deserve -just because a kits been around for thirty years ,doesnt mean it cant be made into a superb model , as you have proved . cheers tony

First Name
James
\ said:
Thanks for the info. I see you are foiling your B-17. You are a braver man than me! Good luck with that. Looks like an excellent diorama in the offing.Cheers

Steve
yeah im giong to sterilize my desk and area from dust, get some new blades and burshes. oh yeah go and buy some more patience. need alot of that. one thing to point out on the foiling i finished my starbord wing last month and noticed that temprature is a BIG deal on large pannels with no seams to cut. ill take a picture of what happend ill have to make a seam in it to prevent it from happening again but when the plastic was warmer from holding the wing and working on it after laying it down for a while the plastic shrunk a small amount and wrinkled the foil so a little food for thought on that keep the pannels of aluminum small 1" x 1" no bigger i think.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Excellent result here - I'm very impressed.

Colin m.....