B17 Memphis Belle

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great. Only thing i would suggest is easy off on the weathering underneath. Don't know what it's like on the top but other then that i'd be well chuffed with it :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
For the exhaust stains i would recommend pastels. They can be applied very easily and built up to the degree you require. Some people airbrush paint on for this but i'm not skilled enough for that yet lol.

Again it's weather (with brown) a little too much for my liking but each to their own. It's your model and do as you wish. As long as you enjoyed building it and learned from it then that's the most important thing. I'd still be well chuffed with that

M

mobear

thnx for the tip al info taken onboard will help with lancaster thats next:cheers:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
For the Lanc remember that the outer engines only have one exhaust stain (inboard) on them ;)

Ian Lanc will be able to offer better details on the lancs then i can though

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice B17 mobear, good inspiration for me.

For the Lanc remember that the outer engines only have one exhaust stain (inboard) on them
Just curious as to why this is? I have seen many Lancaster models with exhaust stains on both sides of the outboard engines on the upper surface. Were the outboard exhausts deflected downwards? Sorry to veer off your topic mobear.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The angle of the wing and airflow didn't take the exhaust gases onto the wing and therefore stain the wing

A

andyrobs

Thats a great first build mobear, and going by the size of it, that Tamiya Williams renault its sitting on must be huge!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

M

mobear

hi all and thnx for compliments,andy its huge and im pulling it to bits as the man who built it was even by my standards rubbish with sprue marks all over it and none really sitting pretty,and as for the tip on the lanc this is really good to know,i also found out that you have to cut wings to get proper kink now i`m scared(just a little)hahahaha

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You don't have to cut the wings. From a personal point of view i'd only cut the wings to get the correct angle if i was building a brand new out of the factory lanc. The wings would have sagged/levelled out through wear and tear on operations and also having them full of fuel. But hey that's just my opinion.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job on the Belle. Weathering is a personal thing so that's sort of up to you really. The finish,at least in the photos,looks a bit glossy for my taste.

The main thing is that you've obviously put the thing together well and got a decent paint job on it. Most importantly you sound like you enjoted doing it!

You've obviously developed an unhealthy liking for large bombers so,to help your next one along,here's some photos of the unusual exhaust staining described by Allyne.

Ancient.

And modern.

Cheers

Steve

M

mobear

thnx for that the look is quite obvious in the pics

cheers mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks like a great build Ole. As Steve pointed out it is a bit shiny for a painted finish. Also the weathering is a bit heavy and not sure about using brown. As others have pointed out in other aircraft threads Aircraft where normally kept pretty clean. The most prominent things being the exhaust staining and machine gun smoke on wings or noses.

The most prominent form of weathering on an aircraft is fading/bleaching due to age and the effects of weather. Oil from engines, hydro lines and the such.

A good colour for picking out panels and the like is a good deep grey. (I use an oil paint 'panes Grey' or if I need a darker colour good old black).

BUT the big thing to remember is you are building for your own enjoyment so if you are happy, keep on doing what you are doing.

skål

Ian M

M

mobear

thnx for info ian duly noted and thnx for that lancy will look alot nicer i`m hoping

M

mobear

the glossy look on the aircraft didnt pan out like i hoped it was supposed to look wet and damp in places as we r in blighty hahahahahaha oh well:cheeseygrin:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I can see the exhaust staining on the Lancaster now, thanks for the pictures.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
that looks great and if im not mistaken that's revels 1/48 Memphis belle's kit. ive built one and it would be goog to compare the two, I also think I went a bit hay wire with the weathering did you find that the kit needed quite a lot of trimming? still I like the paint job :welldone: