B17 Memphis Belle

B

backonthecase

Very very good and a cracking first build. I can partly agree with the weathering comments but it doesn't look "unrealistic" just "heavy" - nothing wrong with that if that's how you want it. (Coming from the guy who uses weathering to cover up botched paint jobs haha)

Otherwise a brilliant start!!

Stuart

M

Mustang69

It looks awesome!

And the 1/48 scale is just, well, huge doesn't seem to fit the description. Massive more like it. I know we generally like to take photos of completed models trying to get the affect of real scale, but with a kit like this, it would be nice to have something real life, like a can of coke or box of ciggis nearby or on top to get the true massiveness of the kit. I don't think a 1/48 B17 would fit on my work model table, Never mind finding a place to show case it. Well done!

And I'm glad there is two B17s that popped up on the threads completed recently, as I have my own 1/72 Memphis Belle waiting down the line and i'm sucking all the tips and advice and pics up like a sponge.

How does one weather the exhaust streams with pastels, in degrees and build it up? Do you put a wet coat of something clear on and dust the pastel on the wet streak and repeat after drying? That's as far as I can imagine how to do it.

Cheers

Frikkie

M

mobear

sorry to for taking so long,just noticed this lol,i used pump action hairspray,not aerosol spray,then added pastel to the colouration i liked,made a bit of a boob on the wings,tried to make it look wet in places,but failed big time,though i`m very new to model building and will experiment,with everything till i get the answer i`m happy with

mobear

T

treyzx10r

Just found this Ole was on vacation when you posted it originally. Really good effort for a first build,ca'nt add much to whats already been said about the weathering. A very difficult first subject to say the least and you handled it very well! One thing I would suggest would be experiment on scraps before going at it on your build,a lesson that I learned the hard way several times. Looking forward to your next build ,cheers Trey

C

Caledonia

Hi Ole missed this first time around, you sound disappointed with your efforts don't that is a great first attempt. As to weathering tips and modelling in general go through Flory's free videos in YouTube, they are very helpful, here is the link if you don't already have it

His weathering washes are excellent when you maybe just want to highlight panel lines as I did in my Sea Vixen, or if you want a really dirtly effect as my Tornado. Best thing is if you use a gloss varnish coating as a base; if you don't like what you have done, you can take it off with a dampened kitchen tissue and try again.

Main thing is practice makes perfect. Cheers Derek

M

mobear

cheers for the link Derek,and thanks for the input,if its modern then i think quite clean will be better for those aircraft,older aircraft i like dirty lol

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent first build ole, you should be well happy, not slightly disappointed. With all the great advise and encouragement you've received from the boys, the next aircraft will be even better.....That's what makes this place so good, the willingness to help each other.

Cheers,

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Most people (well me certainly) don't bother with weathering on there early models. So well done you for having a go.