BA-3 Russian armoured car 1/35 scale

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes another one. No don't all leave its not too bad, -----------------------------well only a little damage !

IMG_5271.JPG

A short introduction .
The BA-3 was a heavy armoured car developed in the

Russia in 1933, followed by a slightly changed model BA-6 in 1936. Both were based mostly on BA1, the most important development being the new turret, same as in the T 26 and BT 5 tanks, and also equipped with the 45 mm main gun. Around 180 BA-3 cars were built at the Izhorskij and Vyksunskij factories, until production ended in 1935. BA-6 followed with 386 cars produced between 1936 and 1938 in Izhorskij factory. Most of BA-3 production was based on the Ford chassis a 6×4 modification of the USFord AA 4×2 truck, but the last batch was built on Russian version of the same chassis -G- AAA continued to be used in BA-6. The biggest limitation of the BA-3 was the mobility, limited to roads or very hard ground, the result of unnecessarily[1]large weight. The innovation that slightly improved mobility were the auxiliary ("Overall") tracks that could be fitted onto the rear tandem wheels, converting the car to half track .

With thanks to Wikipedia

Well soon after starting it all went down hill, once again getting the two part chassis has defeated me,:disappointed::disappointed:
It doesn't matter which way I try to do it , it either breaks and or twists. The first part of doing the wheels and axles wasn't too bad, just a bit fiddly. But that chassis , I glued the 3 cross sections on to one side, in attempting to join the front to the other chassis leg I managed to snap it !!! *** **
So I tried to carry on , but there was the twist, one of the chassis legs managed to twist under so I couldn't get it back again , even with adding more TXT and trying to twist it back the front broke again on the glue .

It was a this point I was nearly going to throw it either up the garden or into the bin,, but after walking away for a night decided to do what I tend to do ---------- produce a wreak.

It was only later that I noticed that the chassis has some studs / pins in it and these fit into the floor pan, so the next one, the BA10 might have a square chassis, which I can build up the wheel assemblies on , who knows it might work. Then I can use those great resin replacement wheels.

Onward, this is where I am. didn't take any photos of the first part of the build assembly of bits !

IMG_5272.JPG

Body built as far as I could , before painting was needed , now I can glue the spring assy and sub frame s on where they might fit.

Enjoyed doing the tyres as you might expect, great satisfaction melting the rubber , think it has come out really well .:nerd:

IMG_5274.JPGIMG_5273.JPG

Removing all of the wing I smashed my way into the engine housing, , the engine its self has kindly gone at a nice angle, as the round has just gone straight through above the top on the engine.

All planned with utmost care :smiling3::smiling3:

Now the first part of the primer is on I can sort out the rest,

IMG_5275.JPG

As to the figures, we have all seen those photos of German Troops looking at smashed up and deserted Russian vehicles , so I decided to have a dio with a band of Germans walking by having a look.

IMG_5276.JPG

They have had a few alterations carried out including one with a pair of Russian arms. As short sleeve order seems to be the choice of dress this would be in summer. They have had a dark primer sprayed from under now going to have the white done to the upper sections.

All coming together and an idea or two made regarding the layout.
Hope you will join me, comments welcome .

John .

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You are obsessed, unlike me!!

Lovely start.kick the cat of the seat lol

Really Like the history, reminds me of the dorment Stug fest lol

Keep up the good work

Bob

• Haha
Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Sorry to hear about your woes building this up but you have achieved a great result look forward to watching this progress.

D

Deleted member 4539

At least you can do something with it :smiling3:.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its a Russian onslaught!!. Cunning way to keep on building wrecks. You dont need to keep coming up with all these excuses. We believe you:smiling5::cool:;):thumb2:

Good luck with this one mate. The figures are looking great already. By the way did I mention camo....??:tears-of-joy:

• Love

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You are obsessed, unlike me!!

Lovely start.kick the cat of the seat lol

Really Like the history, reminds me of the dorment Stug fest lol

Keep up the good work

Bob
That made me chuckle Bob, welcome to the wreakfest . !

John,
Its a Russian onslaught!!. Cunning way to keep on building wrecks. You dont need to keep coming up with all these excuses. We believe you:smiling5::cool:;):thumb2:

Good luck with this one mate. The figures are looking great already. By the way did I mention camo....??:tears-of-joy:
Ok rub it in I don't care:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:, it's a fairly good excuse you must admit Steve . Just think of the fun I'm going to have doing the damage colours, let alone that CAMO that will test the fading .YES CAMO WILL DONE .
Thanks guys .
John .
Sorry to hear about your woes building this up but you have achieved a great result look forward to watching this progress.
Thanks Paul, I will succeed one day with multi axcles :smiling: until then it's wreaks all the way .

Hi John
Now that's a different start. Build it, swear at it, wreck it all in the first post. Lord only knows what you'll be up to in post 2.
Jim
:smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling: nice reply Jim, post 2 will be more gentel. I'm loving the evolution ab , such control with that setting ability.
Though look our for fire at some point, of the remains of. :nerd::tongue-out3::upside:

At least you can do something with it :smiling3:.
Hi Ralph, it's a case of having too, not one to waste a kit because it defeats me in assembly. :nerd:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
POST 2 stand by Jim :smiling4:

Much paying with base, adding sand , soil ,which has all been in the MW to get rid of any unwanted growth .:surprised:
Several additions of grass, flock , still not anywhere near completion, as need to add some trees and shrubbery , much of which will be burnt. Yes FIRE , its the only way to get the actual look .:smiling::smiling::smiling:, but before that some photos of the base.

Starting with a piece of insulation foam, cut to size of the frame , they given a coat of pva, than allowed to dry, this was just to seal the foam.
After which a first coat of dry lining mix, this is just roughted on in the general direction of the road.
IMG_5277.JPG

Now the filler was mixed and troweled on

IMG_5278.JPG

Again once this was dry I added some soil , which has been sieved and mw'd

IMG_5279.JPG

Also some cat litter, I'd first smeared some normal pva on with a brush, and left it thick in parts, hence the line at the lower center. The reason for this is the line of the road edge from the mud thrown up by the tyres.

IMG_5280.JPG

Tyres tracks added and some to represent the way the car was hit, throwing it off course.

IMG_5281.JPG
Above is the aftermath of spraying with IPA to give the glue a easy route , having reduced the water tension in the mix.

To show what happens if you just put the glue mix straight on the base, it stays in blobs, taking a lot longer to flow, and sits on the surface, you can use washing up liquid mixed with water at 30 % but I now prefer the alcohol IPA mix.
IMG_5285.JPG

Now a coat of sand

IMG_5291.JPG

Then added in the same manner each time , IPA, glue, and in this case the scatter and flock
IMG_5304.JPG

It was still drying out when the photos were taken, hence the white areas.

This is just a mock up of what I want to acheive.

IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

I also started to add some small detail to the parts that will be strewn about.

IMG_5297.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

Lot of blending to be done, as some of the rust were from powders.

IMG_5303.JPG

Lastly the figures, I've 5 all together, but at the moment only 3 Hornet heads, more stock is on its way from Historex, I refuse to buy these from Evil bay because I can't be sure their not knock offs.

IMG_5300.JPG

The other heads will be hat less, just to give some variation.

Hope you enjoy, comments welcome.
John.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.JPG
    IMG_5283.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5293.JPG
    IMG_5293.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Coming on very nicely, you have this base building lark of to a tee.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Coming on very nicely, you have this base building lark of to a tee.
Thanks Paul, it seems to work for me, had the original ideas from MM and then Luke Towan on Y tube , his ipa ideas on reducing tension are such a time saver.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I will have to look him up.

Paul
Boulder Creek Railway

and Kathy Millatt. who also does great how to videos.
John.

D

Deleted member 7181

Not sure how I missed the start of this, I love a bit of wanton destruction!

That vehicle is well and truly kippered, and it's good to see the stages of the dio being built. Real soil and cat litter - who'd have thought it?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not sure how I missed the start of this, I love a bit of wanton destruction!

That vehicle is well and truly kippered, and it's good to see the stages of the dio being built. Real soil and cat litter - who'd have thought it?
Thanks Andy, well I picked up all these various techniques from fellow modellers and good old Y tube. I miss so much on here as well so you are not alone .
Good stuff John.
Thank you Peter, I can always rely on your support :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John,
Smashing, love how the groundwork has come together, now looking forward to the completed finish.
Mike.
p.s. did you say a while ago you had run out of ply bases?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes Andy, JR plays with matches quite often, that is until Matron catches him and it's a dose of meds and back to bed for the errant lad. Cheers, Rick H.

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Smashing, love how the groundwork has come together, now looking forward to the completed finish.
Mike.
p.s. did you say a while ago you had run out of ply bases?
Thanks Mike, don't think I did, still have a few 18 mm boards under the spray booth . But did have a change of bases recently with the picture frames .

Yes Andy, JR plays with matches quite often, that is until Matron catches him and it's a dose of meds and back to bed for the errant lad. Cheers, Rick H.
Rick, now you know that's not true when you say ," quite often " it depends on what you mean by often .
I've only had two fires in a year, the third one was nothing to do with me , that just happened ! :upside::upside::upside:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
What about Roarke's drift???? I know 570 can't prove it but that had your signature as well!!
Cheers, Rick H.

• Love

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What about Roarke's drift???? I know 570 can't prove it but that had your signature as well!!
Cheers, Rick H.
Ok three then Rick :smiling: