Bader's Hurricane Finished

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is the PCM 1/32 scale metal winged Hurricane. It's the only game in town unless you want to adapt the ancient Revell offering. I've been there and done that and didn't fancy it again!

The PCM kit doesn't fall together but there are plenty of goodies in the box,even if the injection moulded parts are fairly basic and it certainly looks like a Hurricane to my untutored eye.

The build thread is here if you want to follow my trials and tribulations.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/summer-2011-group-build-photograph/13021-le-d-another-ace.html

Here's my "walkaround"

I discovered the day before yesterday that the "Boot kicking Adolph up the arse" emblem was applied to all 242 Sqn. aircraft and,too late for me,to both sides of the noses on Bader's and McKnight's machines.

Oh well!

It's been fun

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks fantastic Steve. I'm looknig to get this kit eventually when funds and SWMBO allow

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Beautiful build of a beautiful aircraft Steve, big five mate.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking build Steve, really nice model.

Nice bit of info. re. the emblem, we live and learn don't we?

Quick question:- What is the blue rectangle decal below the cockpit please?

Big five for sure.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the positive comments everyone. You can't go wrong with a Hurricane,what a fine machine.

\ said:
Quick question:- What is the blue rectangle decal below the cockpit please?
Ron it's a Squadron Leader's pennant. In WWI they were literally pennants attached to the rigging of the bi-planes but by WWII they were painted on like this. Most commanders don't seem to have bothered but I don't think Bader was the type to forego an opportunity to show his rank.

Cheers

Steve

B

beav1013

excellent work. i need to add some british planes to my stash. i really like this one and the typhoon. great job.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Steve! That is a beauty!

Not a lot to add that has not been said during the build, but I will say that you have obviously enjoyed building this and it shows. Really nice. Now go and build his Spitfire!

Five big ones from me.

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

That is stunning Steve.

I'm looking to do a Hurricane in the future to compliment my current Spitfire build but in 1/48th. Maybe when I've got a bit more experience I'd like to try 1/32 scale.

Was it a tricky build then?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful build steve on an iconic aircraft! It certainly doesnt show that you had a bit of a battle with the kit ,it looks superb. Great to see the nose art too, 41 sqn adapted this design on one of their jaguars during the first gulf war, XZ364 - 'Sadman' , showing a boot kicking saddam hussein up the jacksie!! 5 star build, and no mistake!!! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Was it a tricky build then?
It wasn't entirely straight forward. You will have to deal with photo etch and resin. The resin parts do have some well defined cut lines so they are hard to really b*gger up.The photo etch is by Eduard and is up to their usual high standard,the instrument panel is superb. There is nothing to be scared of on this front.

The injection molded parts will require quite a bit of clean up and there was not a single piece that fitted without some kind of work on it. It isn't like a Tamigawa kit. None of this should put anyone off,it is easily coped with using basic modelling skills.

The instructions are pretty vague and assume some familiarity or knowledge of the Hurricane. I had just about enough references to hand and then there are always experts on modelling forums to be called upon. I didn't follow them religiously but two points stand out. I fitted the seat into the cockpit tub along with the photo etch harness BEFORE I fitted the cockpit assembly into the fuselage. The instructions would have you drop the seat in from the top later. You'd need to be a gynaecologist to fit the harness then!

The second is a major problem with the fit of the wings to the fuselage. Have a look at my build blog. I would do it that way again,if you follow the instructions you will be in for a lot of hard work.

I would say the kit is a very good limited production kit. It isn't aimed at the novice modeller but anyone with a few kits under their belt should be able to manage perfectly well.

The old Revell kit can be made into a MkI but you'll have to remove the cannons and their bulges and then re-scribe the correct panel lines. You are also going to need a different spinner. You may choose to live with the heavy detail.

The PCM kit makes a much nicer model if you are prepared to put the work in. Tricky? Yes,but well worth it.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

What a superb looking model Steve. Lovely finish and detailing and just the right amount of weathering. I don't think we do enough Hurricanes and tend to concentrate a bit too much on Spitfires but this helps to maintain the balance. Lovely in 1/32nd as well so a bit of presence on the shelf.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Outstanding work Steve! From the quality of your work the PCM kit looks a winner, and I look forward to building mine at some point.

Another terrific example to add to that growing BoB collection.

Cheers

Paul

C

Caledonia

Love the Hurricane, and you certainly have done it proud Steve, 5 Star from me too. Cheers Derek

T

treyzx10r

Steve yet another beauty ,ca'nt add more to whats already been said 5 star f'sho!!